Possible 1896 Carbine

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
midwestman

Possible 1896 Carbine

Post by midwestman »

This receiver, barrel, and front sight post look like a legit carbine. Right serial number range, shorter front sight post etc. The stock is clearly wrong along with a screwed in barrel band. The rear sight looks to be a 1901 of some sort. The metal looks dark to me, possibly blued? Serial #27087. The price is already at 425 and the auction is Saturday morning. Is it worth more, should I try and get it and get a right stock, sight etc.?

midwestman

Re: Possible 1896 Carbine

Post by midwestman »

Link to pics and auction.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3824&aid=102512&lid=27153005&title=US-Springfield-Armory-M.-1895-.30-40Krag-B-A-Military-Rifle

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

While it is temptingly cheap, you're not getting much.

Restoration to ANY form of 1896 Carbine, even the long-stocked version, is going to be expensive, very expensive.

I would also verify that the barrel actually is a full 22" - I know that pictures can be deceiving, and the bastard stock length only confuses matters, but it looks quite a bit shorter to me, more like 20" maybe.

I'd suggest saving your money and buying better. It is a buyer's market right now - "toy money" is dear, and prices/sales are definitely down from what they were a few years back.

The only saving grace is that it IS consecutive to a Rough Rider gun. Having said that, however, be aware that NO provenance is thereby given. A number HAS to be exact. And, having said THAT, I will point out that the records have not been found for ALL troops of the 1st USV - though they have been earnestly sought by people who knew what they were doing.

So, I guess there is a glimmer of hope. Your $$$, your choice! :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'midwestman' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Wow, talk about close! #27088 was a Model 1896 carbine issued to J. B. Crockett, I Troop, 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders) in 1898. However, close doesn't mean anything except #27087 is in a 'block' of carbine serial numbers.

Whoever, took the auction site photos did not really want to show anything in detail. I can't really get a feel for the metal condition or correctness.

This would not be a good candidate to restore. A correct 1896 carbine Stock, hand-guard, rear-sight, barrel-band, sling-ring & bar are hard parts to find and would cost $1600 to $2,000.

You would end up with an 'original parts carbine' worth $1,400 to $2,000, with no provenance - IMHO.

midwestman

Post by midwestman »

Thanks guys, man this is a great site. I will probably go to the auction and get a closer look. That was real close to a hit!