My Krag "Carbine"

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
McKrag

My Krag "Carbine"

Post by McKrag »

img

I came across this cut down Krag rifle which was missing the bolt, sights, and was in a "sporter" stock. The bore is probably the cleanest and sharpest I've seen so I bought it for parts. Well, Boyd carbine stock (lots of woodwork), '98 sight and handguard and various small parts and I have my "carbine". I've shot it in a few local CMP matches and it'll stay in the black, mostly. Were I ever to go deer hunting again this would be my deer rifle.

edit: That picture is with my '01 sight and hand guard. It now wears the '98 sight and hand guard which I like better on the short light carbine.

butlersrangers

Re: My Krag "Carbine"

Post by butlersrangers »

McKrag - Nice looking shooter!

I like the carbine length Krags for shooting, but, prefer the 1902 type rear-sight.

I don't know how I'd do with the three notches of the model 1898 sight.

McKrag

Post by McKrag »

Thanks about my Krag "carbine". I don't even notice the other 2 notches in the '98 sight. I also have an '02 sight, but it is so nice that I hesitate to use it. Besides, I just can't see through that little peep abd don't want to modify it by drilling out the aperature.

Here's my '98 rifle.
img

I also found this barreled action at a gun show. I found a sound stock, but without cartouch, circle P. I don't know if it's G.I. replacement stock or if it's repro, but it fits the barreled receiver very well. It's my CMP vintage rifle match gun. The "carbine" is fun to shoot, but the rifle shoots much better groups at 200 yards.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

McKrag - That's a fine looking Krag match rifle. The stock certainly looks original. The reproductions usually don't have the 'lightening cuts' (finger-grooves) quite right. You were lucky to find an unattached rifle stock.

McKrag

Post by McKrag »

butlersrangers, the finger grooves were kind of sloppy and rouygher than I'd have thought even a USGI replacement stock would have. The cut-off recess was fairly rough, too. The guy selling it wasn't sure so I made my case for it being a repro and got it for a fraction of the price of a for sure, cartouched '98 Krag stock. I'm very happy with it after a bit of sanding and many hand rubbed coats of boiled linseed oil. I do think it's a repro, but it's sound and looks good (to me)..less than a C note for it is cool, too:)