Rehab Project

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Rehab Project

Post by butlersrangers »

A couple of years back, I picked up a Model 1898 action and barrel for spare parts. Missing were, the Stock, Hand-guard and barrel-bands. The barrel had been shortened to 21 & 7/8 inches and dove-tailed for an ugly & crude front-sight.

Recently, I put the barreled-action in a Carbine stock that 'Bubba' had ruined with reshaping and a pistol-grip. (I cut off the pistol grip and re-contoured the wrist I salvaged a mutilated 1903-A3 front-sight, increased the inside diameter of its band and fitted it to the barrel.

I had a spare butt-plate, screws, and barrel-band to complete a utility sporter. I made a front-sight 'key' from a square-cut nail and cross-pins from finish nails.

I took the rig to the Range today for a 'try-out'. (I need to put a shorter Blade in the '03-A3' base, since the first shots went about 14 inches low at 50 yards). With the 1902 rear sight set for 500 yards, I got nice groups in the scoring rings.

Another handy 'junk' Krag to play with for about $155 in parts.

(Note - No good parts were harmed in this project).ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Rehab Project

Post by butlersrangers »

more photos (browning of front-sight pending):ImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: Rehab Project

Post by psteinmayer »

Looks awesome! We need to meet at the range soon and do some more shooting together. Unfortunately, I am having surgery on my shoulder next week... so it can't be for a few weeks though.