Just another handed down Krag?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Texas10

Just another handed down Krag?

Post by Texas10 »

This Krag is serial number 133937, has been sporterized but has a few interesting details that I cannot find reference to. So I searched the web, joined your group and plan to shoot this gun again (I last shot it 45 years ago) and would like to learn more about his serial number from the guys who seem to know the most.

The stock is "different", but appears to be a reworked original. The barely visible cartouche seems to have the initials MWJ. The second more rearward cartouche with the date is no longer discernible. Additionally, there are three raised letters just behind the trigger guard. The first is possibly a "E" or a "B". The other two are plainly visible, a "G" and a smaller "W" underneath.

On the right side of the stock, behind the checkered pistol grip is the ghost of some gray colored, hand painted numbers. Possibly 3122_?

The Comb of the stock has been raised with the addition of a different piece of wood, and I can see the lower end of the checkered pistol grip is also a spliced-in piece of wood. There are Ivory highlights inlayed in the wood and a NOSHOC butt pad installed.

Of most interest to me is the forward end of the stock. It terminates about 7-7/8" forward of the aft face of the barrel ring (marked "U") but it bulges a bit instead of being simply rounded off. Could this have been a carbine model?
The barrel measures 22 inches from bolt to muzzle, and has the number 78 stamped on the chamber end of the barrel where the lug slides in.

It has a Redfield Peep sight (so the magazine cutoff was removed) and a Pacific front sight.

There looks to be an original or at least very old leather sling, but no markings on the brass details such as US.

I have removed the action from the stock and cleaned it thoroughly in preparation for shooting. Everything looks good through my Snap-On borescope camera.

What do you think? Just another hand-me-down or is this one especially remarkable?

butlersrangers

Re: Just another handed down Krag?

Post by butlersrangers »

'Texas10' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. Everything you describe suggests a cut-down, sporterized, Krag rifle. A much better analysis would be facilitated by clear, detailed, photos showing various areas, sights, and markings of your Krag.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

I'll work on getting some photos loaded up. I can see from other pictures that my stock has been substantially modified by addition of a pistol grip (i think that's what it's called) behind the trigger, and then checkered to hide the expertly done seam in the wood. I'm pretty sure a very talented gunsmith worked this over and am wondering if the small raised letters behind the trigger guard are his marks. Any idea? I've read there were some well known shops that modified surplus Krags for the sporting market in the first quarter of the 20th Century. Do you have any historical information on these shops?

Also, I have some boxes of ammo, some fairly old, and from what i can find, it's all loaded to 2430 fps, a fairly hot load. The oldest box is marked Western Super X, (before bought by Winchester).

My chamber and barrel appears to be in very good condition using my inspection camera, and I did shoot it 45 years ago using store bought ammo. It was cleaned and put in its scabbard and in the closet ever since. What do you recommend I do with regard to shooting this gun for the first time in half a century? Should I unload the ammo I have and reduce the charge a couple of grains? I have an inertia puller I could use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Texas10' - A lot of your questions will be best answered if Krag enthusiasts can see some pictures.

Load velocity needs to be related to bullet weight to have meaning (Too Hot or Safe?).

Don't tamper with factory loads and reduce powder charge!

Personally, I would shoot your old factory loads (unless they are highly collectable, corrosive ammo, or badly corroded). Cartridge brass gets brittle with age and you may get some neck 'splits' (no big deal). Inspect your cases after firing. If you are going to reload old brass, anneal the case-necks.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The modifications described were not common, but were at least written about in the gun books of the day. This is from a book by Ellis Lenz (his drawings). IIRC, the man who did the work was Robert Milhoan.ImageImageImage

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

I searching for the initials BGW engraved behind the trigger guard, I found;

Baylocks Gun Works in Gun Barrel City, TX. Not far from where my father was in basic training (Fort Hood). IIRC he said he purchased this Krag, along with 3 other rifles at a pawn shop in Waco. I have a picture of him in his Army uniform holding the Krag next to a deer taken with it sometime around 1942. One of the other rifles he purchased was a 1853 Spencer Carbine with Stabler cut-off.
I will try to contact Baylocks next week and see it they did the work.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

Picture of fore endImage

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

View of front sight with PACIFIC showingImage

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

Stock with checkering and added grip.Image