Just another handed down Krag?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Just another handed down Krag?

Post by butlersrangers »

I measured the original 'headless' set-screw on my Redfield #102-K sight.

The OAL is .390", max. thread diameter is .125", and 40 T.P.I.

(btw - With the Redfield #102-K sight mounted on your Krag, if you just loosen the coin-slotted screw and lift the elevation slide until it stops, the rifle bolt can be removed without further disassembly).Image

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

My box of 5-40 X.250 set screws arrived today and they fit the sight perfectly, though I'll probably need to use a bit of blue thread locker to keep it tight.

I've got 99 to get rid ofanyone need some?

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

And now another problem. My Lee reloading die set came in and I began the task of setting them up when I noticed one of the Winchester rounds I shot for the first time had a ruptured case in the shoulder area.
This was not one of the reduced charge Remingtons I shot. These shot very well and the cases look much better than the Remingtons, except for this rupture. It's not a surface defect, the hole does go all the way though.

What do you think? Just bad luck? Or a harbinger of things to come?Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It could be an individual case defect. It could be from brass being brittle from age. Anneal your other 'fired' cases and see how they fare.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Winchester brass always looks better to me than the Remington brass... shinier somehow. Unfortunately, cracks in that area like that can happen from time to time. A crack in that area is not dangerous though (I've had quite a few myself).

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

Texas10,
I had 2 late model Winchester casings do that on me. No idea why but it looks like a defect from the factory.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

I cut the case open and looked at the inside portion of the case where the blowout occurred and did not see anything that might explain the cause of the rupture.

Just one of those things, I guess. I'll be on the lookout tomorrow when I shoot it again.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll report back after the shooting session.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

Arrived at the range Tuesday with the Krag and Savage 223 for some target practice, and was anxious to adjust the peep sight with the new 5-40 screw I installed.

Shot 10 rounds out of the 223 and set it aside to cool, picked up the Krag and sent five rounds downrange, adjusting the sights each time. Got it to shoot consistently at 3:00, 8 ring, but didn't bring the correct screwdriver to adjust the windage.
BTW: it is already set about 3 ticks to port and still shooting right. Is this normal for this sight?

Anyway, the range officer is an old Army Tank gunner who saw combat in the first Gulf war. You know, the one where they laid waste to a bunch of Russian tanks. And he took a shine to the Krag so I offered him to shoot it.

Put 3 in the magazine and picked up my 223 to spot him.

His first shot I called @ 3:00 8 ring. He adjusted his point of aim.

The next two he put in the bulls eye, a 1 inch dia circle (100 yds).

I can see why Sadam's tanks never stood a chance.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Am I missing something? On what Krag sight does one need a screwdriver for adjustments? Only one that comes to mind is the Rice, and I thought the elevation and windage screws were the same ("adjusting the sight each time"). Also, the Rice doesn't have "ticks"? And, a static correction that large at 100yds would seem to raise the possibility of a bent front sight, or barrel?

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Sporter with a Redfield peep I believe Dick