just inherited a 1898 and need info about it.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
macisak

just inherited a 1898 and need info about it.

Post by macisak »

I've been reading a lot about the rifle and know it was manufactured in 1900 and that's about all. I think it's a cut down barrel because it's around 24.5 inches. I haven't seen a stock like it and there are no markings other than
U S MODEL 1898. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. 228265
ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: just inherited a 1898 and need info about it.

Post by butlersrangers »

'macisak': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a neat Krag that was altered from a 30 inch barrel Infantry Rifle into a Hunting Rifle, probably in the 1920s or 1930s.

The original stock was reworked by the addition of a pistol grip. The seam is hidden by 'checkering'. The forearm was shortened, thinned-down to remove the 'lightening grooves', and checkered. A rubber butt-plate replaced the metal one.

Your banded front-sight is probably a Lyman. You have an original Krag 1901 rear sight on the barrel. It looks like the knob on your 'Striker-Rod' is cut for a 'dove-tail'. This would suggest it was possibly altered to take a Lyman 'cocking-piece' peep-sight.

Nice old Krag 'Sporter' - Enjoy it! (IMHO - Your sporter is pretty neat. Its appearance would be improved by replacement of deteriorated ventilated butt-plate with new 'solid classic style' rubber plate). ImageImage