Sideplate Scope Mount for 1898 Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
John M11

Re: Sideplate Scope Mount for 1898 Sporter

Post by John M11 »

The carbine has no part of a cutoff installed i hate to remove the peep sight to install one but will have to .

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'John M11': The entire Redfield 70-K sight (with target knobs) is easy to remove and replace. It seems to hold its settings, if carefully replaced. It is probably easier and more 'repeatable' to remove the entire sight, than just removing the elevation/windage slide. (This is very tedious with its micrometer elevation adjustment).

To remove the bolt and clean the barrel from the breech, you have to remove the 70-K sight in whole or in part. (The Redfield 102-K slide is very easy to remove, by contrast).

In regard to the 'slot' for the magazine-cutoff in the receiver wall: This trough could probably be filled with some J-B Weld or Liquid Solder 'troweled' smooth and allowed to harden. Only the area the cartridge rim passes over needs to be smooth. Others have used a Nail turned to correct diameter and then filed to the same contour as the cut-off shaft ('Lock-tite' into place). These 'Fixes' can be undone.

John M11

Post by John M11 »

Thamks Butler

I don't mind getting a replacement cut off and modifying it. And the peep doesn't have a zero yet. So installing a modified cut off should not be an issue. I prefer to not remove screws if at all possible.

But alas the youngest is enamored with her sisters Rem 700. It looks like if I want the Krag hunted with this year I will have to carry it. Of all the other options she liked the Krag over the Win 94 or the model 8. But she liked the Rem 700 in 270 best. And she performed best with it this morning.