I'm a newbie here to

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
chuck56

I'm a newbie here to

Post by chuck56 »

I'm new to this site and hope that some of you guys can help me out.

A widow I know gave me a 30-40 Krag but minus the stock. It's in decent shape and was wondering if it's worth getting a stock for.

I'm really not sure what to do with it.

chuck56

Re: I'm a newbie here to

Post by chuck56 »

img

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

img

img

img

img

img

img

serial # is 805452

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

Looks like it might have been in a fire?

To be honest, I'm not sure it is worth saving - it would only be good for a throw-in-the-truck, or loaner, hunting rifle. Too much has been done to it to be of any use to a collector, and even to make it usable for hunting might be more than it would be worth.

But, since it was a gift, you have nothing to lose, and it could be a fun winter project, I suppose, especially if it had once belonged to a dear friend. Of course, if it was in a fire, it might not be safe.

Number has to be 305452 (receiver made in 1902) - Krags did not go over 500,000.

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

The pics don't do it justice.

It wasn't in a fire it's been sitting in his old workshop/sportshop for 25 years.

It would be safe to shoot. The bolt works fine and so does the ejector.

A 3... lol I thought so but my eyes keep playing tricks on me.

Anyhow thank you for the info and like I said the pics don't do it justice.

spentprimer

Post by spentprimer »

It looks like a winter project to me, too. That is what I would do if it were mine.

Welcome to the forum!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Seeing as how it has been drilled and tapped for both receiver sight and a scope mount, and also has a barrel band, I'd put in in a sporter stock. Can't say for sure which scope mount it would take, could be a Williams. Older ones took 4 screws, the ones made now take 3 that are spaced approx 1.125" center to center.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Heck yeah put it in some kind of stock and enjoy shooting it! (But only if the bore condition warrants it.) A few hours with some emery cloth and fine grit sandpaper and then rust blue it- it'll look good and it's something you can do yourself at home.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Like 'gnoahhh' and others said, the collectability is gone, but, if the bore is decent, there is a lot of utility and fun to be had.

If you are interested, I believe the scope mount holes are for the Weaver '#2 side-mount', which is still made. (They show up relatively cheap on ebay and GunBroker from time to time). Cut-down 1898 Krag stocks and sporter stocks also show up on these sites.

Be patient and don't pay too much. Keep in mind that even in useful form, this Krag will only be worth $275 to $300 (and difficult to sell at that price). Everyone wants nice and original rifles and carbines. A few of us play with 'Sporters' and will consider hunting with them.

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

Thank you all for your input.

I will make this a winter project.

I found a stock already but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

31 inch Jorgason.