Looking for another Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Redcoat3340

Looking for another Krag

Post by Redcoat3340 »

I've had one for about two years but haven't shot it in a long while as I've been moving from NY to WA state and my reloading gear has been a continent away from the rifle.

Now it's all together and I've been out with it with my adult sons and they like it so much I'm thinking of getting another.

I've not looked around lately, but this forum was a big help when I purchased my first, I thought I ask for help again:

Besides gunbroker and an LGS, any online recommendations about where to look? I didn't see any listed here in the classifieds...I'll post a WTB on Armslist.

Also, what the going price for a decent, shootable-even-if-the-stock-needs-work Krag these days? Honest wear is okay with me as long as the bore is good, it headspaces, and all the little pieces work as they should. I'm not looking for a collectors piece, just a nice shootable rifle.

"Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

reincarnated

Re: Looking for another Krag

Post by reincarnated »

Amoskeag Auctions. Next weekend.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Auction Arms has some fair deals at times too.

Are you looking for an original rifle or carbine or will a cut down shooter fit the bill too?

Regards,
Tom

Redcoat3340

Post by Redcoat3340 »

A cut down shooter would be just the ticket. I'm not a collector per se....but I shoot everything I own and this is a great gun to shoot.
"Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Redcoat,

Cutdown sporters can be great for just ole plinking fun, hunting, or even competitive shooting in the right venue. I use one of my Krags (a full military) for CMP matches, but I use my cutoff sporter for cast bullet matches, and it's very rewarding! Krags, be it cutoff or as-issued are a wonderful rifle to have, and one of the greatest designs ever bestowed on the world!!!

For a decent cutoff sporter, you should never expect to pay more than $500, and I would imagine you could find a great shooter for under $400. There are those out there who value their sporters like they're made of gold... and command a premium price, but I would avoid that. Reminds me of an episode of American Rifle, where this guy took a good original full military Krag (probably worth upwards of $1,500) to the shop, and paid the gunsmith $2,500 to turn it into a cutoff sporter, destroying the inherent value of the original rifle, and turning it into a $500 shooter, LOL