Another project 1903 Springfield

Other Firearms
Baltimoreed

Another project 1903 Springfield

Post by Baltimoreed »

My 1903 Springfield Mk1 sporter arrived yesterday so Ive started another remilitarization build. Its a reblue Im sure and has scope holes on the left side of the recvr. Ill have to fill them somehow. Took it apart and found cosmoline ? in the trigger assembly, a homemade front sight screw but everything else was ok. Was missing the rear sight [still has the base] and still has the gi front sight. I polished the black stuff off the bolt and cut down a spare firing pin spring, it opens and cycles a lot smoother now. I picked up a unmarked stock and unfinished handguard that Ive started messing with. I want to mill some grasping grooves too. Theres a military show in Raleigh this weekend so I hope that I find a good rear sight and a few other parts I need. ImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Another project 1903 Springfield

Post by butlersrangers »

What 'markings' are on the straight-handled bolt?

Nice project 1903! The sight parts should be easy to find on eBay, (or from Grandpa's Gun Parts), if you don't find them at a gun show.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

I dont see any marks, just a punch under the bolt handle.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Milled my grasping grooves yesterday, they turned out nice. Went to the Raleigh military gun show today and picked up a nice rear sight and an original nobuckl sling. The sight matches my rifle nicely. But nobody had any 03 small parts. Looked at a very sharp Red 9 Mauser....maybe?? Photos soon.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Came across a book detailing the making of the 1903 Springfield. Some things may be of interest, but it is very detailed.

https://books.google.com/books?id=303zAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=krag+jorgensen+rifle+flora&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLpuH9y-3mAhWUbc0KHRUUDUY4HhDoATAAegQIABAC#v=onepage&q&f=false

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Yes it is, wow. Way over my head and Im 6 4. Heres what Ive got so far. Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your 'finger grooves' turned out nice!

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Thanks, I used my HF mini mill, measured a whole bunch before I lowered the router bit. My arm was tired running the table from one end to the other, adjust a little and check it again, it doesnt have power feed.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Its not finished but its together. Still needs a blued upper band and a better lower band and a few small parts, mk1 cutoff, spindle, stacking swivel, front sight screw. My 1903 Springfield carbine and its big brother. The kerr sling on the mk1 is original.ImageImageImage

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

As always...nice work Baltimoreed!

The Kerr sling looks fantastic!