Another project 1903 Springfield

Other Firearms
Baltimoreed

Re: Another project 1903 Springfield

Post by Baltimoreed »

Made it tacticool with a 1903 extended mag that Numrich sells. 11+1, fed them fine, supposed to hold ten but this one held 11 and the bolt closed. Now Ill be competitive with the enfield guys at our next club BAMM shoot. Doesnt look too off the wall like the air service rifle mags do.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Wow, that looks kind of Nautical .... Submariner Model?

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Started on another 03 build. This one is going to be a .30 cal target big brother to my 1922M2 .22. Still waiting for the donor rifle to arrive but a few parts have come in. Have been playing with a duffle cut c stock with patches trying to make the patches disappear. I think Ive about got it done except for the forend tip and truoil. ImageImage

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

Great job on the restoration! I like the "carbine" what's the story behind it, if you don't mind?

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Ron, It started out as one thing but ended up another. I like project builds so I found this 1930 vintage sporterized 1903 a few years ago. It had an unmolested recvr but only a 21 inch very molested bbl. My initial build never happened and the rifle got ignored for years. Well I suggested that my cas club try a BAM match so I used a Krag and a couple DA revolvers. The match was a big hit so the guys decided on a 1911 pistol BAM match so I decided to remilitarize my cut down rifle to have a sorta correct rifle to use for a 1911 BAM match. Wore my 1912 summer uniform ala Pershing's Punitive Expedition.
As the bbl was roughly cut 3 inches I cut the stock 3 inches to keep things proportional, moved the lower bbl band back 2 inches and reshaped the handguard to blend it. I cut the grasping grooves on my HF mini mill. It had no gi sights, just Williams front and rear sights. The replacement stock was a junky scant stock that I reshaped, stained and refinished. I recut the muzzle face, installed a rear sight collar and front sight and slicked up the action. Used all milled parts. The extra Williams sight holes are hidden under the handguard except for one at the muzzle. The pix is how I did the handguard, its actually 2 handguards cut at their humps. Of course the hump end is shortened an inch and the skinny end cut 2 inches. Doing it this way allowed me to keep both of the steel handguard inserts. The curved brass is epoxied to the hump end and the skinny part goes over it. The bbl band holds it all together. I also pinned and glued a block onto the end of the stock to hide the exposed lightening cut under the upper bbl band. Looks like its a solid stock. Last month I bought one of the extended 1903 mags for it. Its a really handy dandy carbine. Image

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Excellent work as usual Baltimoreed!

Here's a pic of a 1903 that I refurbished a number of years ago sporting a 20 round extended mag.Image

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Neat build. Cant never have too much ammo.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Can't never have too much!

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

Ron, It started out as one thing but ended up another. I like project builds so I found this 1930 vintage sporterized 1903 a few years ago. It had an unmolested recvr but only a 21 inch very molested bbl. My initial build never happened and the rifle got ignored for years. Well I suggested that my cas club try a BAM match so I used a Krag and a couple DA revolvers. The match was a big hit so the guys decided on a 1911 pistol BAM match so I decided to remilitarize my cut down rifle to have a sorta correct rifle to use for a 1911 BAM match. Wore my 1912 summer uniform ala Pershing's Punitive Expedition.
As the bbl was roughly cut 3 inches I cut the stock 3 inches to keep things proportional, moved the lower bbl band back 2 inches and reshaped the handguard to blend it. I cut the grasping grooves on my HF mini mill. It had no gi sights, just Williams front and rear sights. The replacement stock was a junky scant stock that I reshaped, stained and refinished. I recut the muzzle face, installed a rear sight collar and front sight and slicked up the action. Used all milled parts. The extra Williams sight holes are hidden under the handguard except for one at the muzzle. The pix is how I did the handguard, its actually 2 handguards cut at their humps. Of course the hump end is shortened an inch and the skinny end cut 2 inches. Doing it this way allowed me to keep both of the steel handguard inserts. The curved brass is epoxied to the hump end and the skinny part goes over it. The bbl band holds it all together. I also pinned and glued a block onto the end of the stock to hide the exposed lightening cut under the upper bbl band. Looks like its a solid stock. Last month I bought one of the extended 1903 mags for it. Its a really handy dandy carbine.

It does look like a real handy Rifle, thank you for the write up!