Lever action 30-40 army

Other Firearms
King carp

Re: Lever action 30-40 army

Post by King carp »

From what I have read you are the lucky owner of a rare U.S. musket. I hope you are able to resolve the feeding issues with it. My carbine was made after the government contract for your musket. It has some parts marked with KSM, a government inspector. I guess Winchester used up the leftover contract parts on civilian rifles. These rifles seem to have been popular with revolutionaries, both russian and mexican. They were also favorites of the Texas rangers. I think they are cool pieces of history. Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Thanks. I bought it back in the day when money was flowing like water from a fire hose. Back when I was ignorant and over paid for a lot of stuff. You don't want to see my spreadsheet on the mil-spec antiques I have pruchased over the last twenty years. Want to talk about a one of fifty-six bayonet? It'll make your wallet cry.

Do me a favor. Take a pic your carbine with the action open looking into the action. Make it up close and a clear image. I want to see something on your gun.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

King carp

Post by King carp »

Hope this helps.ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

..... and Arizona Rangers ... "KING CARP".Image

King carp

Post by King carp »

Sgt. Schultz's buddies too!Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You've confirmed what I knew. One of the things on the feed lips is missing on my gun. I can run three cartridges into the chamber without much effort but four and five get jummed up on the barrel face. I think since one is missing it cants the cartridge out of alignement.

Thanks for the pics.Image
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

waterman

Post by waterman »

I was part of a group of guys who tested two original NRA muskets (in .30-40 cal) on the 100- and 200-yard ranges. They were not at all competitive when shot alongside ordinary Krag long rifles. When fitted with a sling and used in prone or sitting position, they would not hold zero. Point of impact changed with sling tension. That's why the old guys never bought many. They sure look neat, though.

King carp

Post by King carp »

That makes sense. I hope you can engineer a fix and get her feeding properly. Do you have a bayonet for the musket? I hear they are hard to come by.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Do I have a bayonet for the musket? Is Pelosi a hag? HA! Like you have to ask. Of course! It is sitting next to my Bolo bayonet, my bowie, and my Winchester Lee bayonet and the rest of the 1903 bayonets. Geez. I spent a bunch of money on stuff. It makes me ill thinking about it sometimes. Most times, not so much.

;)

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I never thought it would be competitive at Camp Perry but it's going to be a hoot when I get her and her cousin the Win Lee on the line. :D