Smith Corona 1903A3

Other Firearms
Whig

Smith Corona 1903A3

Post by Whig »

I pulled this baby out when I was going through my Krags for bolt measurements. Thought I'd share it with the group and ask for some comments on the valuation based on what it is. This is a very early Smith Corona 1903A3 made in November 1942. The SC serial numbers started October 1942 with 3,608,000 when 20 rifles were made in October. This one has the barrel dated 11-42 and the serial number showing it is the 1,506th SC 1903A3 made. The barrel is 6-groove and the bore looks pristine. I see evidence of some copper fouling in the grooves so I won't say it is unused or unissued. I don't know how to determine that exactly. There were supposed to only have been 5000 6-groove barrels used in the first few months of Smith Corona manufacturing of the 1903A3s from High Standard barrels made for them until they had production geared up for the more common 4-groove barrels used starting about Feb 1943.

The rifle has the Smith Corona butt plate with the 11 squares to the inch and an unmarked rear sight which may be SC. The bolt and rest of the parts are marked "R". The stock, as far as I understand, is a SC stock. It is an arsenal update unless the rifle, being such an early production, used Remington parts when originally made at Smith Corona. I understand they did use Remington parts until they had production of all of their parts at their factory. I'd like to know. I'm not sure why an apparently unused rifle would need upgrading in the first place.

So, please let me know what you think. Is the rear sight SC if it is not stamped "R"? Is this original with the Remington parts or from an arsenal rebuild?

I'm also very confused about the "RA-P" stamping. I know the Frank Atwood inspector stamp but some references say the "RA" stands for Remington Arms and some say Raritan Arsenal where the rifle was rebuilt and reproofed (RA-P). But, again, why would an apparently unused rifle need to be rebuilt? Very confusing.

Thanks for the help!ImageImageImageImageImage

Whig

Re: Smith Corona 1903A3

Post by Whig »

more pics 1903A3

ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That's quite a nice '03-A3, Whig.

FWIW - All the metal looks rather uniform in finish to me.

It does not seem to have the odd variety of blued parts, and different shades of 'parkerized' finish on component parts, that is seen on '03-A3 rifles with 'original finish' .

I suspect it went through Raritan for 'refurbishing'.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Whig,

You have a very nice Smith Corona that has a mix of Remington parts thrown in.

The Stock would appear to be an early Smith Corona stock by the use of stock re-enforcing pins instead of screws/bolts. Additionally, your Smith Corona band spring inlets are rounded and correct instead of being squared as seen on Remington stocks.

According to Joe Poyer's book about the 1903...Smith Corona rear sights were generally unmarked.

Joe's book also points out that the RA-P mark indicates Post-World War II rebuild at the Raritan Arsenal.

Attached is a Smithy, like yours, that sold for $2,875 at an RIA auction back in 12/3/2016!

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/69/1612/early-wwii-smith-corona-1903-rifle-with-sixgroove-rifling

Also attached are Pics of my Remington (top) and Smith Corona (bottom) Model 03-A3s. Both of them came to me originally sporterized.

I estimate that my Model 03-A3s would sell for around $600-800. Yours is an original with a scarce 6 grove barrel and would command a much higher price!ImageImageImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thanks. Since it has officially been through a rebuild, I have no interest in trying to make it "correct" by getting SC parts. This is how it was and will remain. Looks great and I'll be shooting it at some point to test its accuracy out!

King carp

Post by King carp »

That's a fine looking 03A3. It is a piece of history, I would leave it as is. From what I have read not all rifles were totally rebuilt. If they passed inspection they were stamped and stored. My 1903 Springfield was heavily rebuilt at raritan. It has a Mark 1 stock and parts from all makers, then reparkerized! It is a real mongrel but shoots fine. Thanks for sharing your 03A3 with the forum. I like the 03's as much as my krag rifle.ImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Heres my 6 groove SC 03-A3 with CMP certificate and all original parts. I dont think its been through a rebuild and the barrel is 1-43. I dont have better pics right now, but can post per requests later. Id love to hear thoughts or input as this is new to me. ImageImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Additional picsImageImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Last setImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

So, you got one that wasn't put through an arsenal rebuild. Very nice.

I wonder why mine was rebuilt when it obviously looks unused and probably didn't need anything replaced. I think, from what I'm reading, that it was automatic to switch out parts without regard to needing to do so. Then they were stamped as a rebuild and put back into storage.

Have you shot it yet?