Waffenfabrik M78

Other Firearms
Philngruvy

Re: Waffenfabrik M78

Post by Philngruvy »

Thanks.
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

I currently have a bid on 40 rounds of Remington Kleanbore and 20 rounds of Windfield Arms Corporation .41 Swiss rimfire ammo for my Veterlli.

It's an online estate auction being held locally for an individual who must have had a gun store at one time... mega reloading suppliesare listed.

I mainly want them as collectibles, but, I just might pop off a few rounds.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Here's some pics of my W.v. Stieger Thun Vetterli with reproduction cleaning rod and sling.
ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IIRC - The Swiss Rifle Forum has quite a body of information and 'how to methods' to convert the rim-fire Vetterli into a center-fire (and inexpensive to shoot arm).

I believe 'Parashooter' is quite an authority on this subject.

p.s. - Ron, you probably know this, but, "Waffenfabrik Bern" was one of the Swiss Arsenals that manufactured the Vetterli for the Swiss Cantons. #155055 is your rifle's serial number and 'M78' is the model.

Something not always appreciated is that the Swiss Vetterli and .41 Swiss rim-fire cartridge were early surplus items that came to the U.S., in the 1890's and early 1900's.
The ammo was also loaded by some American companies. The (inexpensive military surplus) Swiss Vetterli and its cartridge played a role in 'homesteading' the American West.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Lots of Vetterli videos for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swiss+vetterli

Philngruvy

Post by Philngruvy »

Thanks everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Ron
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"