Stacking arms?

Other Firearms
waterman

Stacking arms?

Post by waterman »

I read a comment about the recent cutaway where the poster suggested dents came from stacking arms. Have you done it? I have, but not with a Krag. In early Feb. 1960, I was in USN boot camp. We had real 1903 (and a few 03A3) Springfields as drill rifles, not some sort of pretend drill rifles. We marched about with our rifles and stacked arms when ever we went to a class. If you were careful, they did not get too badly dented. If the stack fell down, the Chief was unhappy, so we took care. Not a difficult skill to master.

FWIW, the real 1903 I was issued had SN 4003. Yup, a real rod-bayonet .30-03 that had been given the 1906 conversion. Would have worked too. Bolt had a complete firing pin. Barrel was not plugged. I could see some rifling. I knew it was a museum piece and treasured it.

butlersrangers

Re: Stacking arms?

Post by butlersrangers »

We "stacked arms" often, using replica 'Brown Bess' Muskets, during The Bicentennial of the American Revolution. Muskets required interlocking fixed socket bayonets & partially drawing rammers.Technique is a bit different with rifles and 'stacking-swivels'. No harm is done if three arms are stacked carefully. Once "tripod" is secure and stable, other arms can be leaned against the first three, maintaining an even & balanced load. Cartridge belts, bayonets, and accoutrements can then be hung and draped evenly on stacked arms.One day on a lark, (while my wife was out), I decorated our Living Room with stacked Krags.It is easier to do when several careful hands are involved. Calm, team work, communication, and steady hands are needed to un-ravel the stack.

photos: 1. & 2. - My handiwork. 3. A great-uncle's company of Mich. State Troops training outside of Calumet, Mich. in 1903. 4. U.S. Engineers in London 1917.
Attachments
krag-stack6.jpg
krag-stack6.jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
krag-stack5_001.jpg
krag-stack5_001.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Mich State Troops-Swedetown1903-04.jpg
Mich State Troops-Swedetown1903-04.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
us-soldiers-london with krags.jpg
us-soldiers-london with krags.jpg (144.41 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm thinking that we should stack our Krags at Perry for the Roosevelt Match and get some pictures! That could be fun...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Crossed Arms" and "Stacked Arms"!Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Recently, I read somebody's opinion, that Krag rifles were rarely stacked.

I suspect that it was a common practice, but maybe rarely photographed?

I'm 'bumping' an old thread and also adding another 'field' photograph of the 3rd U.S. Infantry at Walker, Minn. in 1898.
The Krag rifles are stacked and ladened with accoutrements and clothing.
A day later, at the Sugar Point Reservation, an accidental discharge while 'stacking arms' may have precipitated an unfortunate battle.

FWIW - I doubt that it was ever intended that 'loaded' arms be stacked.
Attachments
Walker-Leech Lake.jpg
Walker-Leech Lake.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

The stacked rifles appear to be a popular spot to throw all your other gear on top of as well.

I am trying to recall — back in the 90’s during boot camp we would stack the M16A2 rifles against each other while we went into the chow hall — I recall we left a gear watch too. Come to think of it, I also have seen this practice out in the fleet — at MCAS (Marine Corps Base Hawaii nowadays) Kaneohe Bay the ground guys would stack their weapons outside too.

You’d never catch us decorating the stack with other gear though — hell, we weren’t even allowed to use our cargo pockets… Most had cargo pockets sealed shut and flush with glue or other means.
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg (503.24 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The tradition continued .... hurry up and wait!

Dock at Tampa 1898:
Attachments
SAW-Tampa_Dock.jpg
SAW-Tampa_Dock.jpg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 1042 times