Gems are out there!

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Gems are out there!

Post by butlersrangers »

An interesting thread is developing on the Gunboards Forum. On the "Military Mauser Forum", a Poster started a thread - "1891 argentine in 30-40 Krag!".

The Poster had seen an early Mauser in a gun shop that he took to be an 1891 Argentine Mauser. It was marked 30-40 on the barrel. The rifle had few if any markings, no crest, and no graduations on the rear sight.

He asked about it on the Mauser forum. He went back to the gun shop to take some pictures and get more information.

The shop owner asked him what he was doing? The poster asked if the rifle was for sale and got it for $300.

The two pictures, he posted so far, are intriguing!

It appears he may have obtained a rifle that was submitted for the 1892 U.S. Trials (Mauser entry #4 in an experimental .30 cal. rimmed cartridge). (The 30-40 marking may have been added later).

Hopefully, more pictures will be posted. Definitely worth looking at!

p.s. It appears like trial rifle No. 27, (Mauser entry #4), illustrated in Brophy, The Krag Rifle, page 245.

butlersrangers

Re: Gems are out there!

Post by butlersrangers »

Photos of possible 1892 Trials prototype Mauser from Gunboard's Forum:ImageImage

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Those sorts of things come up now & again. If a guy was not a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast for historical arms, he or she would never know what it was. Good on him!

What happened to the rifles rejected from those or any other trials?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

This U.S. Patent Drawing appears to be similar to the Trials Rifle #27, Mauser No. 4, supplied chambered for the F.A. experimental .30 cal. rimmed cartridge.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The proud owner posted some nice pictures today. The discussion is quite fascinating!

(p.s. - The caliber marking appears it was added later, possibly by a gunsmith).ImageImageImage

waterman

Post by waterman »

Whatever the designation of the original cartridge (developed with the last of the Trapdoor actions?) it was not ".30-40 Krag".

The owner has a very rare rifle, but how great is the interest? What is the value? If you found one at a gunshow, how much would you offer?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IIRC - Frankford Arsenal developed a rimmed, smokeless, .30 caliber cartridge that was used in some of the arms entered in the 1892 and 1893 trials. This evolved into the .30 U.S. Army cartridge.

The possible trial Mauser rifle may be chambered for the .30 F.A. rimmed cartridge. The '.30-40 KRAG' marking is likely a much later hand-stamped addition.

I believe some late trap-door rifles were used to test .30 caliber rimless experimental cartridges that became the .30-03 cartridge.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I saw a 30-40 Trapdoor once, I think it was in a TX museum. Interesting rear sight the mauser has, with that double notch when down, looks like there might be some limited windage adjustment. The 30-40 on the mauser barrel appears to me to have been stamped on later, maybe by the fellow who liberated it from the Armory? I've seen a few rifles over the years that might have walked out of Springfield's collection.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The rear "v" notch can be folded down. This feature was on model 1871 and model 71/84 Mausers. When 'up' it is likely a 'battle sight'.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

IIRC - Frankford Arsenal developed a rimmed, smokeless, .30 caliber cartridge that was used in some of the arms entered in the 1892 and 1893 trials. This evolved into the .30 U.S. Army cartridge.

The possible trial Mauser rifle may be chambered for the .30 F.A. rimmed cartridge. The '.30-40 KRAG' marking is likely a much later hand-stamped addition.

I believe some late trap-door rifles were used to test .30 caliber rimless experimental cartridges that became the .30-03 cartridge.

No, the .30 caliber TDs took a RIMMED round basically indistinguishible from what is now the .30-40 Krag. The rimless .30s were used in other trial arms of the period, such as (IIRC) the Durst. FWIW, our friend Joe Farmer has two (now perhaps 3?) of the Durst rifles, which are of two similar designs. The .30 TDs are well covered in my latest book.