Gems are out there!

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: Gems are out there!

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick, thanks for correcting my memory error.

Good to hear from you, I was getting concerned about your recent 'absence' from forums.

waterman

Post by waterman »

In "History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition", Vol. 1, 1880-1939, Revised, Hackley, Woodin & Scranton call the cartridge the "Cal .30 Springfield Armory Cartridge". There were many changes made during the early years. They also discuss the rimless versions, generically termed "the Cal. .30 rimless Frankford Arsenal cartridge". The writers assume that one version of the rimless case was the 7.65 x 54 mm Belgian Mauser, loaded with a 215 grain bullet. The book has 5 pages detailing cartridge development 1890-1893.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It has been suggested to the owner of this possible 'trial rifle', that a chamber cast be done. (It is pretty much the consensus of responses on this thread that the '.30-40 KRAG' marking was a later addition).

Some of the bolt 'internals' on this rifle have Belgian/FN ('Z') markings. (I suppose this could be a replacement 'striker-safety assembly' from a Belgian model 1889 Mauser).

I think this rifle is an amazing curiosity and it has come to be in good hands.

The Mauser Rifle Forum on Gunboards has some interesting posts and contributors. There are several threads that have Springfield Armory 'Mauser trial rifles' content.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Dick, thanks for correcting my memory error.

Good to hear from you, I was getting concerned about your recent 'absence' from forums.

I appreciate your concern! Am fine, just busy, and there has simply not been a great number of subjects of interest (to me) on any of the various boards recently. Also, you do a great job here, as I've said in the past. My guns are locked away, and I'm not a cellphone camera user, so, I really appreciate your instant responses.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm glad you are "OK". I will get busy and be quiet so we hear more from You!

CELLPHONES are Cameras??? Tell me more!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'm glad you are "OK". I will get busy and be quiet so we hear more from You!

CELLPHONES are Cameras??? Tell me more!

You always respond so quickly with relevant pics that I just assumed you used your trusty cell-phone.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I use a Canon!

('PowerShot A3100', handy little pocket camera with convenient memory cards).

In my mind cameras are for pictures and cell phones 'flip open' & stay in the car for emergencies. I try to avoid emergencies!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The rear "v" notch can be folded down. This feature was on model 1871 and model 71/84 Mausers. When 'up' it is likely a 'battle sight'.

Thanks for clarifying that for me BR, my brain was having a hard time with it! Let's see, that part won't move laterally, the other part is limited in movement....