carbine sight

Other Firearms
Philngruvy

carbine sight

Post by Philngruvy »

I won this on Gunbroker today. :)Image
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

butlersrangers

Re: carbine sight

Post by butlersrangers »

Cool $200 sight. Good Eye!

Philngruvy

Post by Philngruvy »

I thought it was an unusual combination putting a 1901 Krag carbine sight on a H&R 45-70 with a 32" barrel. I really wanted the rifle and the sight came as a bonus. However, I was hoping the value of the sight was more based on the buy now price ($550) that Movieman630 has on the same sight on Ebay.
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Philngruvy' - The $200 gestimate is simply my conservative estimate, based on observation over time, a bit of knowledge, and opinion.

Your desirable model 1901 carbine sight is the most common of the U.S. Krag carbine sights. I have seen nice specimens of the rarer model 1898 and 1902 carbine sights available for around $200.

Strangely, the model 1896 Krag carbine sight, which should not be all that rare, is in high demand and when available will bring $500 to $600.

In the end, it is all about demand and what someone is willing to pay.

I have no wish to rain on anyone's parade. Maybe $200 is too low a value for your carbine sight, but, $550 seems too high a price for the 1901 carbine sight.

I am glad you were successful in a gun auction. That .45-70 should be a lot of fun. Getting a valuable carbine sight is a great bonus! Enjoy!

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Philingruvy,

Any way you look at it, you've not been hurt on the cost. I've seen the Buffalo Classic go as high as $600 in straight factory configuration. Whatever the Krag sight is worth, is a bonus . :)

Love to hear a range report on your impression of shooting the BC with it.

Recently bought a BC myself from a friend but haven't cast for it yet, looking forward to it.

Philngruvy

Post by Philngruvy »

Thank you all for the positive comments. I agree that I did OK on this deal. I have been wanting the Buffalo Classic for a long time, and I have a saved search for it. When I was scrolling through the pics for this and the Krag sight popped up, I was like OMG!! I feel very lucky in so many of my gun purchases and this is another one that I am very happy with.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler »

I'm glad others have used an antique sight on a modern rifle. I purchased a 1902/3 sight with the intention of mounting on a High Wall. Just have to figure out how to modify the base so that each notch equals 1 minute.
The 1902/3 is a composed of the 1902 and 1903 sights....or so the ad said.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Whether or not the sight was a good buy depends on what's been done to the radius of the base. But, an original base could be found to fix it, if you wanted, if it has been modified. Looks like a nice rifle, one that would now be legal for deer hunting here in Ohio.