Fort Mackinac

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Fort Mackinac

Post by butlersrangers »

I was on Mackinac Island earlier in the week. Of course, I spent some time at the Fort and was thinking about 'Trap-Door' Springfields and Dick Hosmer's ancestor & noted 'rifle shot', Captain William C. Manning, 23rd Infantry Regiment.

BTW - Mackinac Island was our second National Park (1875 to 1895) and became Michigan's first State Park, when the U.S. Army abandoned the post in 1895. One of the Army's last duties on Mackinac was administering the National Park.

The soldiers utilized two rifle ranges on the Island. A 600 yard range firing North, toward Ft. Holmes, and a 1,000 yard range (probably near where the air-strip now resides).

Use of the Ranges was seasonal, so as, not to "off" any wandering tourists, during July and August.

A few pictures I snapped at the Island:ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Fort Mackinac

Post by butlersrangers »

A few more pictures (note - The 'Display' 23rd Regt. insignia is too late for period at Ft. Mackinac):ImageImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I've still never been to Mackinac Island, although when I was 13, we crossed the bridge to the UP and traveled up to Copper Harbor for a week! One of these days, I'm going to go on a trip to the UP, with a day on the island too!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Oh Paul, you are soooo Troll! (Actually, We splurged for my Wife's Birthday).

Hey, let's borrow your Dad's Trap-Door carbine, go "Up North" to the Island, and excite the "Fudgies" with our 1,000 yard shooting.

ImageImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Actually, I'd love to do that! Dad won't let me touch the Trapdoors until he's gone... And he said I should never shoot em (although if he's gone... how's he gonna stop me, LOL).

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks for the post! I believe that is WCM standing, rather stiffly, to the right.

Would be great if the three of us could make the trip. Sorta out of my orbit, but, you never know.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'd be in for it!

..... Now... How to convince the wife???? Hmmmmmmm

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Easy Peasy - Buy her a pound of fudge, take her for a carriage ride, and put her up at the Grand Hotel. You'll be a Hero for months!Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul, do you think Shepler's Ferry staff would notice, if we brought fully equipped bikes to the Island?Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I don't see a problem with it. Of course, I don't work for the ferry service... but hey - what if we have to defend the fort???