Fort Mackinac

Other Firearms
olderthansome

Re: Fort Mackinac

Post by olderthansome »

Have you guys been to Fort Wilkins? Been trying to get there for years now, but always seems to be made of unobtainium. I know it's from the pre Krag era, but still, it's on my bucket list.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ft. Wilkins, on Lake Fanny Hooe, is a Michigan State Park (and my first Fort!).

I was taken there as a baby on family picnics with relatives, who lived in the 'Copper Country'. I had ancestors, who lived there in 1865. I've been back there a few times, over the years, but, not in the last 20 years.

Located at Copper Harbor on the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, it is a 650 mile drive from Detroit. It is worth the drive, especially in the Fall, with tremendous colors and spectacular views of Lake Superior. (In July and August, probably the best time to see the Fort, the 'Blackflies' and Mosquitoes can be terrible).

The Ft. Wilkins post was built during the 1844 "Copper Rush", abandoned during the Mexican War, leased for time as a health 'retreat', and briefly utilized by an Army company in 1869-1870.

It is a neat 'back-water' military post, that was remote and beautifully situated. It does not appear breech-loaders ever made it there.
ImageImageImageImageImage

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

The Park is still open for another couple of weeks, but the staff is mostly gone (back to school). As I say this I'm reminded of why we haven't made it there yet..Tourist Season. The photos I've seen in the past seem to show the docents in Civil War era uniform and gear so you're probably right about no breechloaders. Even though it was garrisoned in the late '60s and 1870,the presence off only one company and only 4800 rounds of ammunition as you've shown, would hardly warrant a fully equipped garrison with the latest rifles. Still, it looks like there has been a lot of nice work done to preserve the facilities. Thanks for the reference material.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'olderthansome' - A lot of CCC and WPA work during the Depression preserved and stabilized some Keweenaw sites and created the Brockway Mountain Drive to Copper Harbor.

I hope you get there, soon. On a clear Fall day, you can see Isle Royale (National Park), about 65 miles away across Lake Superior.

The inspector's report in July, 1870, was very clear on the Arms. (I think the "stocks worn" refers to men's neck apparel).Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My family spent more than a week in a cabin in Copper Harbor when I was 13 (as I said before, my only trip across the bridge). We toured several of the abandoned copper mines, as well as the only working (at the time) mine, which was Central. Some day, as me about the rock (almost a boulder) I carried up out of the Central Mine! LOL Nearly gave Mom and Dad a heart attack! One day, I'm going to make it back there too!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My German, French-Canadian, and Scottish-Canadian ancestors settled in the Keweenaw Peninsula in the 1860s, 1880s, and 1890s. The Copper Mines were in operation for over 100 years, but, it was a very exploitive industry that brought times of 'feast and famine'. The Boom Times showed amazing growth & development, but, things have been in decline, since post WW1.

Ultimately, many people had to leave the area to make a decent living. It is too far off the beaten path to be a popular tourist mecca.ImageImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

When we went up there, it was the spring of 76, and the Edmund Fitzgerald had just sank the previous November. The Central Mine, which we toured, was still in operation... the ONLY copper mine still in operation at that time.

The History of Michigan's copper industry is a very sad one. I think that is one of the reasons Mom and Dad wanted to go. We always took trips like that on Dad's vacations: Always by car, and always to see some historic place or thing. Mom and Dad always wanted us to see something and learn about something special, historic, and important. Families don't really do that anymore. Now-a-days, it's all about taking the kids to Disney World to make em happy! Sad... :'(

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, I gotta tell you the copper-rock story.

We took a tour of the still operating Central Mine. Let me set the scene: It was 97 steps (yes, I counted) down a wooden staircase to get into the mine shaft. Several of the lower shafts were closed off because of flooding. Mom, Dad, and 4 teens and a 5 year old were on this tour, when Rocket Scientist Paul asks the tour guide if I can keep any copper I find, to which he replies yes.

A little while later, I spot this rock (small boulder really) and I make the mistake of asking how much copper is in this rock. I'm told about 40%. Well, that was all I needed to hear. Sooooo... this scrawny 13 year idiot old picks up this thing, which weigh 75 pounds if it's an ounce, and carries it 97 steps out of that mine and places it next to the car.

Meanwhile, Mom and Dad are frantic because Paul is nowhere to be found in this mine. They had the guides, and even miners searching for me! They thought I had fallen down one of the closed off shafts. But... I was out there next to the car protecting my investment! Boy did I get it when they came out and found me standing there, LOL!

Dad did let me keep the rock, and it sat in his front flower bed for 41 years until this spring, when it was brought to my new house. I'll probably keep it forever and pass it down to my son!

The rock is about 18 inches across, and about 8 inches thick at it's thickest point.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Looks like a piece of 'conglomerate' ore, nice!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, I must beg forgiveness, since I said we toured the Central Mine. Central was a ghost town. We actually toured the Delaware Mine. The rest of the story is all true!