Fort Mackinac

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: Fort Mackinac

Post by butlersrangers »

Two former Mine workings are tourist attractions in the Keweenaw Peninsula, Quincy Mine (NPS) and Delaware (privately owned).

None of the working commercial Copper Mine operations, in the Keweenaw, allowed tours during my lifetime. It was just regarded as too dangerous.

Area Mining stopped in 1968. The price of Copper was too low and there was a labor strike.

We've been to the Quincy Shaft tour and tried to see the Delaware a couple of times, but, it was 'closed for the season'.

I had ancestors that worked at Cliff Mine, Delaware, and Phoenix Mine, all ghost towns now. The Mining operations moved south down the peninsula, and north from Houghton-Hancock, until they found the very rich 'Calumet Conglomerate Load', around 1866.

My grandfather was the Secretary of the Calumet and Hecla Rod & Gun Club. Their club house was at Delaware. Lots of relatives in the gun pictures! ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: Fort Mackinac

Post by psteinmayer »

Yeah... sometimes I have to take a step back and think. I do remember visiting Central, which was abandoned. Now, the ghost town is a tourist attraction. We visited several mines, including Quincy, Central, Cliff, and Clark... but we toured Delaware. We stayed in a cabin at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. I remember those trips fondly because Mom and Dad always made those trips all about being together as a family!