Trapdoor Springfields

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Re: Trapdoor Springfields

Post by butlersrangers »

AFJuvat - Thanks for the pictures of "J.S.A." and the Link to the Springfield Armory Digital Archieves. I have been trying to find an identified photo of J. Sumner Adams for a long time.

You made my Day yesterday! I checked the KCA site just before going to the hospital for O.P. knee surgery. You gave me something to look forward to exploring when I got home.

I hope we have not taken attention away from your 'new' Trapdoor. It is fun to tie Springfield Arms to the men who designed and made them.

It looks like the initials (B.Z.) and name (BILL ZABI N.C. 1932) stamped on your stock are for a previous North Carolina owner. It is so neatly done that IMHO it adds interest and doesn't hurt your rifle's value.

Dick - If I ever run across anything on "The Armorer" magazine, I will be sure to let you know.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In the picture Dick Hosmer posted of "The filing division of the armory in 1886", it appears to me, the man in the middle of this cropped portion could be J. Sumner Adams.

(The images were probably taken 30 to 40 years apart).ImageImage

Discus420

Post by Discus420 »

Looking at adding a trapdoor to my collection.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/tricks for things to look for or to look out for?

Thanks

Go on Ebay and buy a copy of the Springfield research service database its 75$ has lots of info Trapdoors and Krag serial numbers worth every penny

AFJuvat

Post by AFJuvat »

Got it home and gave it a gentle cleaning.

Picked up a reproduction Mills belt and a authentic bayonet/scabbard/frog.

Loaded up some ammo and ready to take it to the range.

ImageImageImageImage