Anyone have a recommendation for Arisaka info?

Other Firearms
MPF

Anyone have a recommendation for Arisaka info?

Post by MPF »

I apologize for straying away from our beloved Krag's for a moment. I picked up an "almost free" Arisaka yesterday. And it doesn't have the common markings I see on webpages. I was hoping someone could steer me to a friendly Arisaka Guru or appropriate board where I might get some help identifying this beast.
Thanks,
Mitch

JOHN42768

Re: Anyone have a recommendation for Arisaka info?

Post by JOHN42768 »

Military Surplus Collectors Forum, Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com are a couple. John

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you send me a private message, I can give you my email address, and then you can send me some pictures to help identify what you have. I have a few Arisakas, and know a lot of the info... plus, I can put you in touch with some other experts!

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

Gunboards.com has a very active and knowledgeable forum.

Firearms Of The Rising Sun

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

Hi,
I also have a 7.7 long serial number less that 6000, and still has all markings and the rear site is still intact, only missing is the mono pod and the barrel end cap. I look forward to helping you and sharing may info and help with you.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

while your rifle has the shape of a type 38, it seems to be missing and not removed makings and I have never seen a bole like that on a Jap rifle. what round does it shot and can use a few more pics if possible.

MPF

Mystery Solved. Thank You Group Members.

Post by MPF »

Thanks to the group for the advise and the members that confirmed my internet research.

What I have is an Arisaka type I. I as in Italian. It was manufactured by Carcano for the Japanese in about 1938. No Mum, no Japanese markings, different bolt. Interesting and somewhat rare but not worth much (which is fine, I didn't buy it for an investment).

Here is an good link describing the history of the rifle. http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/typeipix.htm