I hate auctions

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

I hate auctions

Post by butlersrangers »

From my experience, auctions, especially gun and gun part auctions get stupid fast. If you need a model 1896 carbine sight, this is sobering.

This evening, this correct, but, refinished and blemished sight sold for $565 on ebay. I was hoping it would go to a good home for a reasonable price. In the last 15 minutes, five people bid it up from $155 to $565. I just don't see its condition commanding that kind of price.

(Not sour grapes - No dog in the fight). Image

Jimbo228

Re: I hate auctions

Post by Jimbo228 »

Unreal. I cannot believe what that sight got up to. :o

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Be of good cheer - the prices are coming down - such sights have been known to sell for over $700.

That has always been a very scarce item. When I began seriously collecting Krags in the 1980s, it was not at all uncommon to find 1896 carbines with rifle sights, simply because there were no carbine ones around. Finding one on the loose was virtually unheard of. This, of course, led to the fabrication of fakes - most of which are pretty bad. 1898C sights are also very rare, though you need to have just the right gun to utilize one.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It was the condition of the 1896 carbine sight that makes me question the high price.

Dick: Your Model 1899 Carbine with the 1898 carbine sight is a real gem! (Although, using a 3 notch sight would drive me nuts).

ajv

Post by ajv »

I'd never expect to see that price.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I was one of those who bought anything Krag in 2005 - 2007. Hoo. The money I wasted on Ebay and Gunbroker. I think I put the Gentleman in NC grand kids through college. Some of the things like rear carbine sights and some stocks and handguards I know I paid too much for because I was filled with the mania.

Have not bought any thing in the Krag world IIRC since 2008.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't get why this weak "1901 cartouche" refinished and cut-down stock brought $365 on epay! (with 14 bids, sold yesterday)Image