Are we being set up for something?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
reincarnated

Are we being set up for something?

Post by reincarnated »

I made use of our membership list to send another sometimes poster a PM. While there, I noted this forum has 16,000+ members, many of them very recent. Most have zero posts. Most use women's names. Does anyone wonder why?

The ASSRA site had a similar problem & decided to purge the list & install some sort of security in the registration process.

cdagnese

Re: Are we being set up for something?

Post by cdagnese »

Sure sounds fishy to me. With a Presidential election coming up and Obama getting hot on Gun Control, I'm all for securing the membership list.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

And, note that their emails are all locked.

I respectfully suggest that admin "get on this" ASAP!!!!!!

Something is NOT right. Thanks for bringing it out in the open.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Come on, Ya gotta love a name like 'Savannah Coldiron'!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The one I enjoyed was Yetta Leaper (can Gusha Siemen and Ima Horr be far behind?)

All right - laugh's over - this is serious guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever is behind it - this is NOT an accident, and it bodes us NO good, whatsoever.

Come on, yourself!!!!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A couple of years ago, I started a thread about the strange names and lack of involvement of a lot of "new members".

It appears bogus members started as a trickle in August, 2011, on member page 15. I checked member pages 290 to 335, today. There are probably only six legitimate members and hundreds of bogus ones. This is perplexing and worrisome.
If "members" with zero postings could be deleted, it would probably cleanup the member roster. However, it still begs the question of why the bogus registrations? I don't think my original theory of 'Hot Women with Krag Envy' is valid.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Is this a preliminary step to a denial-of-service attack? The International Ammunition Association forum has crashed & disappeared.

Simply we like Krags, we have lots of well-funded, technically capable and absolutely unscrupulous enemies with lots of time & energy. Knocking out the KCA Forum is probably child's play.

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

i got my membership, tho late, i still have it.
got a picture and everything that relates to my krag. i even started to shoot cast boolits out of her. 165gr ranch dog(.311") and it was slugged .3085".
now it might be bubbazed, but its all mine. just don't take me off the list :-?, please :'(

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

We need to consider Ned's time.

How can we dump the ringers easily and quickly? Zero posts would seem to be the most obvious way.

We might lose 2-3 babies in 16,000 gallons of bath water - but those are good odds, and a real member would most likely take steps to re-apply, anyhow.

Al Frasca's trapdoor site uses a riddle to screen robot posters (he maintains no membership list) which seems to work fairly well - can we put up a similar gate?

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

It would seem it is "spam bots" and it has come to our attention as well, albeit slowly because they have yet to cause a problem, and an upgrade is in the works. This will likely cause some down time if all goes as planned, possibly a lot if there are problems. If for some reason some one's identity gets lost in the shuffle shoot us an email and we will do what we can as soon as we can to rectify the problem. As stated in another post we have lives out side of this forum and do what we can when we can and hope to have this taken care of ASAP!