Pics of my Krag 1898 Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Kettle88343

Pics of my Krag 1898 Sporter

Post by Kettle88343 »

Favor, have a look at the photos. I got this rifle many years ago and have no idea if anything can be determined from the photos, but the sporterizing job seems to be well-executed, and I wonder if it is apparent who did the job and when. Anything that leaps out at seasoned collectors would be of interest.

butlersrangers

Re: Pics of my Krag 1898 Sporter

Post by butlersrangers »

'Kettle' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a handsome looking 'sportered' Krag.

It certainly appears to be made from a cut-down rifle, that was nicely altered, by a civilian, for Hunting.

Your Krag, #138XXX, was originally assembled at Springfield Armory, around October, 1898.

Most Krags were sold-off, by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, from approximately 1925 to 1932.

Your present rear 'peep'-sight is a Lyman, Model #33, it was likely installed by a gun-smith.
Installation required some wood removal, two holes 'drilled & tapped' into the receiver, and removal of a small part of the tang on the Side-Plate.

It would be useful for us to be able to see your front-sight for identification. (It is presently concealed by the 1903 Springfield 'snap-on' sight cover).

Actually, you might want to just leave that 'sight protector' off.
The standard 1903 cover prevents viewing the front sight-blade. It has to be removed to shoot and 'snapping' it on and off scratches the barrel's finish.

FWIW - Disclosing your complete serial number would allow us to determine if your Krag's number is recorded in known official documentation, (SRS Data - Springfield Research Services records).

Kettle88343

Post by Kettle88343 »

The detailed reply is greatly appreciated.

Regarding the serial number, may I ask, what is the benefit of finding it listed?

Regarding the front sight:

A slightly different angle of the rear sight:

When these were sporterized, they were largely worked individually by gunsmiths here and there? Was there any concerted effort that resulted in a large number being sporterized, maybe by a place like Bannerman's, in an attempt to make them more profitable? For example, Griffin & Howe did a good number of model 1903 sporters.

I have a reprint of a 1927 Bannerman catalog in which they describe circa-1914 negotiations to purchase 300,000 Krags from the US War Department, apparently with the intent of selling them overseas, which was halted by the White House. Elsewhere in the catalog they do list Krag sporters for $11.85 each. I'll post some scans later.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Kettle' - Regarding serial number ..... I just want to 'rat you out to the BATF' ... !

Actually, most of us on the KCA Forum are not that shy about serial numbers.

Lots of Guys like to know if their Krag's # appears in the SRS data/records collected by author, Frank Mallory, years ago.

The Pay is the Same ... I don't really care.

FWIW - About 8 1/2 % (or 85) of the nearly 1,000 Krag serial numbers, in the range from #138,005 to #13,997, appear in appendix 20, of Mallory's book: "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition.

Your Krag's front-sight is a '1905 sight' for the model 1903 Springfield. It has been nicely mounted (probably by a gun-smith and not 'bubba'). This is a common front-sight on 'cut-down' Krag Sporters.

The 1905 sight is often rather 'tall' on shortened Krags, but, your Lyman 'peep' sight is higher than original Krag sights, so this probably works well.

Prior to WW-1, Bannerman's (N.Y.), Stokes Kirk and R.F. Sedgley (Philadelphia) were prominent surplus retailers, who bought parts and arms at government auctions.
These dealers cobbled together a lot of Krag rifles and carbines, from parts, for the civilian market. Krag sales continued well into the 1940's.

During WW-1 Krag rifles were widely used in U.S. Military 'Training Camps'. In the 1920's to 1930's, DCM (now CMP) sale of obsolete Krags took place. (The Krag had remained in service in some U.S. Army and National Guard units till about 1908. Krags were on some U.S.N. ships into WW-2). In recent years, Krags loaned to 'VFW' and 'American Legion' posts were returned and sold in CMP Stores.

In the late 1920' and 1930's, NRA Members were buying Krags from the Director of Civilian Marksmanship for $1.50. The "American Rifleman" magazine routinely featured articles on converting Krags into handier rifles for Shooting Matches and Hunting. (I suspect, your handsome Krag was altered in this era).
Attachments
Am Rifleman November 1931-ed.jpg
Am Rifleman November 1931-ed.jpg (178.62 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
am rifleman pacific front-edit.jpg
am rifleman pacific front-edit.jpg (202.02 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
am rifleman western sight-edit.jpg
am rifleman western sight-edit.jpg (191.53 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kettle88343

Post by Kettle88343 »

These are scans from a reprint of a 1927 Bannerman catalog. Note the Krag-related items: