Book Titled "Our Rifle"

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Book Titled "Our Rifle"

Post by Knute1 »

Found this book titled "Our Rifles" by Charles Winthrop Sawyer during our little lull. It was written in 1920 and appears to be recently scanned in Google books. I know how some of you feel about Google/YouTube. Google's viewpoints aren't like most of ours. I have strong values, also. (I have changed churches after 36 years because of values. All 5 of my sons were baptized there,too.) But I still use Googles services. It is just too easy to research thinks like Krag rifles. I don't feel like I'm dancing with the devil. I will tell you that Amazon and others will sell you used books, so you can get an original in your hands if desired. I can't tell you what their values are either.

But...I found the book interesting. If you just read the beginning you would think that it was written today. Arguments over values haven't changed much since then, maybe just a little more heated. But they were very heated at times over the years. So if you are interested in taking a look, here is a link. (We will see if you can tap on the link or if you will have to do a copy and past as I see that the old links you can't just tap on. Not complaining, just saying.)

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ou ... frontcover
Last edited by Knute1 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TexTenn59

Re: Book Titled "Our Rifle"

Post by TexTenn59 »

Spot on regarding the intro. Could have been written in 2020 instead of 1920.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

What caught my attention was in the first few pages of the book was a picture of a percussion and a flintlock rifle followed by a page titled "The Charm of Arms In the Home". Made me think of my display of two flintlocks I built in the 80's (not kits). On the left is a Southern Mountain rifle in .54 caliber. On the right is a New England fowler in 20 gauge. Both have harvested deer. I may be showing off, but the book struck home with me, too.
Attachments
GunDisplay.jpg
GunDisplay.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

An excellent book - and pretty accurate, collector-wise, for the time. I've had my copy for over 50 years, before I began collecting. One of my favorite parts is the sniper story - Little George Lainhart - fictitious of course, bur fascinating.