Just Joined the Forum!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
porter3861

Re: Just Joined the Forum!

Post by porter3861 »

BR - thank you for the Redfield instructions! I did a little digging around on the web but couldn't find a decent set. That being said, it's a pretty straight forward set of sights and I got fairly familiar with it while laser bore sighting it. I will look for that bur you suggested. I fed and chambered some dummies I'd made to test the magazine, bolt face, and extraction/ejection and it all went smoothly. Smoother than most of my Mausers, actually!

Porter

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Of course, it is possible that someone already filled the 'slot' for the tip of the cut-off on your Krag receiver.

Attached photo shows where to look for the cut-off tip.

BTW - A U.S. Quarter makes a handy 'screwdriver' for the (big-head) elevation/lock screw and the smaller windage screws on the 102-K sight.
Windage adjustment works real smooth, if you gradually loosen one screw and tighten the opposite to drift the 'peep' in the direction you want to go.
Use the little elevation 'set-screw' to allow the return to a setting, once you have elevation figured out.
This allows the elevation-staff to be loosened & raised (for Bolt removal) and then accurately return staff to preset elevation.
Attachments
Krag-cutoff position.jpg
Krag-cutoff position.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

porter3861

Post by porter3861 »

BR,

Again, thank you for the information. I've had a look inside the action and can see the slot you mentioned. I haven't had any issues hand cycling dummy rounds but I'll keep an eye on it. I have a set of gunsmithing bits and there is actually a Redfield bit in there that works really well on the large elevation screw. Speaking of which, I laser bore sighted the Krag in my dining/TV room (image attached) so I should be on the paper at 25 yards when I shoot it next week. I was surprised how high the Refield was, but then the front sight is pretty high as well. I'll post a range report after the trip. Also, I've included a snap of the hand loads I've worked up and they are left to right:

H 110 grn V-Max w/ 38.7 grains IMR 3031
H 165 grn BTSP w/ 37 grains 3031
H 168 grn A-Max w/ 37 grains 3031
H 220 grn RN w/ 28.7 grains 3031

Porter
Attachments
Krag_HLoads.jpg
Krag_HLoads.jpg (385.74 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
Krag_Laser.jpg
Krag_Laser.jpg (484.6 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Porter' - Everything is looking good. You might want to try a 'screw-in' aperture disc for shooting paper targets at the range. Most Redfield, Lyman, Marble's and Williams' "peep" discs have the same thread and will work. Optimal Disc 'Hole Size' will vary with lighting, front-blade style, and shooter's eye-sight.

Having no Disc is good for short range Woods Hunting, where a wide 'field of view' is desirable.

(BTW - I've gotten by with never having 'crimped' bullets in my reloads, including .30-06 loads for my M-1 Garand. Bolt guns are pretty benign on reloads. 'Neck-Sizing' and not 'crimping' can add to Brass longevity and cartridge accuracy).

porter3861

Post by porter3861 »

Good copy! The next loads I do I'll experiment with not crimping. I actually just crimped them because a crimp die was in with the die set.

Can you recommend a vendor for the peep disc?

Thanks - Porter

porter3861

Post by porter3861 »

BR - I just ordered two peep apertures from Midway. Much to my surprise, Midway had them in stock. (I never have very good luck with Midway.) One aperture is a .050" hole and the other is a .093" hole. I figured they were $8 and $9 respectively, so I'll try them both and they'll be here before my next range day. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Porter

porter3861

Range Report!

Post by porter3861 »

Good morning!

I had an outstanding range day yesterday and got the Krag sighted in at 25yds. I used a .050" peep sight to get on target and started out with factory ammo, Win 180 X-Super (some old stuff my dad had). After I was zeroed in at one inch above point of aim, I ran through the hand loads I described above and all were consistent save the Hornady 220grn RN which shot 2-2.5" low and right. I've just ordered some Hornady 150grn Boat Tail Spire Points (I've had very good luck with this round with my Mausers), so if you have any recommended loads with IMR 3031 I'd welcome the input.

Last pic is the factory ammo. First round wasn't even on the paper and then you can see #2 up top and #3 down below. From there, I just worked on adjusting the Redfield sight. With my Mausers, I'd simply take the bolt out and adjust the sights via looking down the barrel, but with the Krag, that would require me to remove the rear sight and, well, that just wouldn't work out so good. First and second pics are my hand loads which I've marked by bullet weight and powder load. I shot this bench rested.

I'm very pleased with this performance out of a 1903 rifle! When I get back home (on two weeks of vacation right now), I'll work it out to 50 and 100 yards. I was very surprised how softly the Krag shot. With it's light weight and the bullet loads, I expected to get a mule's kick (like the Mausers) but it was a very pleasant shooting rifle.

Thanks, again, for such a great and informative forum!

Porter
Attachments
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg (565.31 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0480.jpg (559.22 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg (548.04 KiB) Viewed 1978 times