No Country for Old Men

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

No Country for Old Men

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm not feeling the love.

First the Covid restrictions, fear mongering and hype. Then the contrived protests, resistance to authority, attacks on police, destruction of downtown areas, businesses, and beautiful monuments.

Then the KCA Forum goes down for two months and now it's back with a new format, that I'm blundering through. The sense of community seems lessened.

Then Face Book drops a new awkward format on me, that I'm forced to use, and my 'tablet' seems to hate it.

Now GunBoards Forum launches a new format, that makes it hard to scan and find things of interest at a glance. It gives me headaches with 'Big Flashing Ads' covering large chunks of screen and invading my peripheral vision.

"Ancestry DNA" sends an 'update" that makes me 70% Scottish, 17% Irish, and 13% British, which is blarney. This repudiates the previous results that proportionately accounted for my known Scottish, French, Norman, Bavarian, and Saxony ancestors.

.... and then there's the upcoming election and the prospect of my wife (and felons, fraud absentee-ballots, and Dead People), cancelling out my Vote.

I wish some of this crap came when I was younger and could move and fight better!

Knute1

Re: No Country for Old Men

Post by Knute1 »

I feel a lot of your pain. Lot of the same issues, but not all of them. My wife is on FaceBook, but I'm not. This forum is about all I do on line except for email and document searches.

My wife is like-minded when it comes to politics. That means we get upset together as we watch the news. I would have to say that I had my head buried in the sand in my 30's and 40's as our country was slowly changing. Now I don't know what to do besides vote and argue with people that are just as steadfast in their beliefs as I am in mine. I changed churches after attending one for 36 years as I found it getting political (and not my politics) and twisting the Bible to fit their narrative. A couple of my sons negate my vote.

Shot a small black bear recently. Made a mistake sending a picture to a "buddy" at work. Wrong thing to do. Just like sending the bullet down to the target, I could not take it back and have it undone. Before I got to work the picture was shown to 20 plus people and the ridicule began. People envious of my hunt found something to make me feel like less of a man so they could feel more like a man. None hunters didn't understand why I would shoot a "Teddy Bear" and eat it.

Yes the world is changing and race issues are increasing. I'm supposed to feel guilty of my background. No, there isn't much love out there.

FredC

Post by FredC »

"Ancestry DNA" sends an 'update" that makes me 70% Scottish, 17% Irish, and 13% British, which is blarney. This repudiates the previous results that proportionately accounted for my known Scottish, French, Norman, Bavarian, and Saxony ancestors." Quote

In a previous post you claimed to have some German shepherd in the mix. I could have proved that was not accurate easy enough.
LOOK over there a SQUIRREL!!! GET THE SQUIRREL!

Kidding aside I feel your's and Knute's pain. The world is certainly falling apart. The saying that gets my goat the most today is "Silence is Violence". No, intimidation by threatening violence is violence, making terroristic threats is violence, could go on an on about real violence.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - Gosh, I didn't think anyone paid attention to much of my blather.

FWIW:
Having a Great-gr-gr-Grandfather, who was a schafer from Thuringia, makes me part German Shepherd. Several Great(8 & 9X)-Grandmothers, who came to 1640-60 New France from Perche in Normandy, makes me part Percheron.

It's all documented ... I tell the truth!

I need some therapy. I think, I'll go get a haircut and then cut the grass.

FredC

Post by FredC »

You still failed the squirrel test!

Haircut you say. Wow, I have not had a real one since January or February. My barber was going to ride in the San Antonio rodeo about that time so I may have missed the February one. Not that it makes any difference now. Once in a while I grab some hair cut it off with the scissors! Offered to pay for the six haircuts that I missed if one was done outside in front of my garage, no joy so far.

All things considered i have seen better years! Only the creator can fix it out now.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I guess some of us are privileged. My privilege did not come from money. It came from family. A loving Dad who worked at a factory. A loving mother who stayed at home to raise her (4) children. Aunts, uncles and grandparents in the same small community.
My folks were still on my dad's brothers farm when I was born. My dad worked for room and board. He was given a runt pig to raise and had to keep it away from the other swine. When I was born that pig was sold to market to pay for the hospital bill. My other privilege came from living close to a state college in Wisconsin. My dad didn't have enough money to pay for any college, but told me I could stay at home while attending college. He made too much money for me to get any grants. Right there in middle America where a person had to work and didn't have anything to show for it. Fortunately I could make enough money in the Summer to pay for tuition, gas and some beer money.
I am sure most others story is similar. Not doing too bad. Wish others could see opportunities that could be put to good use. Opportunities like college or trade school. Checking off the box for white male on a college grant request did not give me any privileges.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I am at heart an optimist and wish i could add a positive bend on this conversation. Unfortunatly that is not possible in the current enviornment. I live in a crowded urban area and you can smell the desperation and distrust in the air. Aggresive driving and general disrepect predominate. People are behaving like rabid dogs. Its like the whole g'damn town's going to blow up. I do my best to be polite and civil but it is not easy. I hope in the future things can improve. KC

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Do you know what a pessimist is? An optimist with a lot of experience. Anyway, that is what I read on the back of a Doves candy wrapper. A city of 25,000 was too big for me. I moved a mile out of town. Now finding it no where far enough. Overall it is not bad. But there are times........

Whig

Post by Whig »

My wife and I are pissed at almost all of the doctors in this country who have refused to stand up and voice their disapproval of how this Covid "Hoax Flu" crap has been handled. That's because, unfortunately, almost all physicians have been forced by the govt and insurance companies to join big clinics or become hospital employees and the govt controls these doctors through these hospitals and clinics. The doctors, most of them, do not have any autonomy anymore and are not allowed to speak their minds. Most are so brainwashed, anyway, that they probably don't know any better or care anymore.

Have you tried to talk to your doctor ( NOT nurse practitioner or physician's assistant!) about anything other than the one primary reason you were given the privilege to see him? It's all money driven. Computers, electronic health records and billing protocols.

These Covid "death" numbers are false. That's a big part of it. (Again, money.) "If you love me or respect me, you'll wear a mask." or "Please, I beg of you, wear a mask!" A lady at a football game today right near us was tased by a cop at a football game for not wearing a mask. Black cop tasing a white woman over a made-up mandate! (Logan, Ohio if you want to read about it.)

And I say all the above as a physician. Independent and loving it!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Out of respect, I call my GP (or PCP) "doctor" in his office in front of staff, but otherwise he is "Mike". We talk sports cars, history, politics, you name it. His grand-dad and his dad, went to the Point. He skipped, but one of his sons went. He had FOUR sons deployed simultaneously in the Middle East - thankfully they all came home.

I definitely agree that times are getting tough - this is NOT the same good old USA that we grew up in, and I'm afraid it is liable to get much worse - especially in the urban slums - before it gets any better. What seems dangerous is that the thugs are ranging farther and farther afield. We are a duck-hunting hotspot and nearly every one in town has guns of one sort or another. We are not alone, most of the northern part of the state is rural, agricultural, conservative, and Republican. One should not judge ALL Californians by the assholes in SF, LA, and Hollywood. That said, we are, sadly, in grip of a lunatic Democratic governor (Pelosi's nephew!!) who has a supermajority in both Houses.

We are screwed for the rest of my lifetime, but at 83, I'm too old to move. I am, very soon, going to get a carry permit however (tough in CA but we know the chief of police).

In my opinion, we absolutely MUST reelect President Trump, whether you like him personally or not. If Harris/Biden (they're going to flip, you know) gets in, the country goes down the toilet - period.
Last edited by Dick Hosmer on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.