California Effect

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

California Effect

Post by butlersrangers »

The Boss-Wife and I spent a couple of days this week 'cabin camping' at Muskegon State Park on Lake Michigan. The weather, water and blue skies were spectacular. We saw glorious Sunsets, that were altered by the smoke and haze from the California Wild-Fires. The Sun sank from view, behind the haze, 20 minutes early. We could see bands or stripes across the Sun, the result of layers of airborne ash.
Attachments
a dune scape.jpg
a dune scape.jpg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
a California effect0.jpg
a California effect0.jpg (120.24 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
a California effect1ed.jpg
a California effect1ed.jpg (125.73 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
a california effect-3.jpg
a california effect-3.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
a California effect-2ed.jpg
a California effect-2ed.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

FredC

Re: California Effect

Post by FredC »

We see something like that in the late spring or early summer. Saharan dust blows across the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. The first time I noticed it I was on a bus from Texas to Phoenix, thought it was the result of pollution and I got away from it in Phoenix. Little did I know.

This California smoke represents lost lives and homes as well as all the environmental damage. Hope Dick stays safe.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Sad to hear but it's nice to get away and enjoy some peace.

My wife and I just got back from a gloriously stress-free vacation in Ohio's Amish country with a stay at an Amish Bed & Breakfast. We canceled our annual trip to Ocean City Maryland because of the "peaceful protests" that were occurring almost nightly on the boardwalk (beatings and violence) and the horrible mask mandates and Covid crap in Maryland. Much worse than in Ohio where we live now in the country.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks, I'm good. Was touch-and-go for some of my wife's family for awhile - they were evacuated at least twice, but it all worked out.

We are probably pretty safe from fire, a small rural town surrounded on all sides by rice paddies, and only a couple of hundred yards from the Sacramento River. Our house is in the "higher" (by about ten feet!) end of town, where an Indian village was originally located, and where it has never flooded. We also have different height levees, taller on the town side, so any cresting water will spill out into the rice first.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Dick,
Good to hear you are OK and your place is not part of the smoke plume.
FredC