"Bucket List" Book

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

"Bucket List" Book

Post by Knute1 »

So I have been researching the Krag-Jorgensen rifle a lot the last few years. There have been many government documents discovered on line along with books past their copyright protection, magazine articles, etc. I have gotten a feel for the era and attitudes for and against the rifle. Posted a lot of what I found on this forum. Discovered that an ancestor used the rifle in war and marched in front of President McKinley's hearse through Buffalo, NY with the rifle on his shoulder. Finally got to use one for a hunt. I guess you can say it is in my DNA and I can't shake it. The only thing I could do now is write a book on it. From a different slant, of course, on what has already been written. My thoughts would be to go through more of the history rather than the engineered dimensions, etc. To delve more into underlying issues both within the Armed Services and in civilian life. Issues taken to the Supreme Court for patent infringements. General Miles' reluctance to accept the rifle even just a few months before the Spanish American War. Document the successes and failures. The fear of some in the states of this rifle that was only overcome because of the Great War, which overshadowed it. The Navy's reluctance to accept it, and then had to hang onto it several years after the Army moved on to another rifle. The myths.
I do not have Brophy's, Mallory's or Farmer's books on the Krag. So I will need to see what they covered and steer away from there writings. I do have Poyer's and Dorsett's books.
This undertaking would take me years. I do not plan on retiring from my present job for another 5 years. Just putting an outline together will take a spell. I will have to research what it takes to even get a book together and published. Costs, etc. Somebody to check my grammar, because it just ain't all that good.
Just thinking out loud here. Putting some thoughts together. Another item for my "bucket list".

Whig

Re: "Bucket List" Book

Post by Whig »

Everyone's interpretation of historical events and personal experiences are different. I would love to read another collection of stories, historical events and even a delving into how Bubba has treated the Krag over the past 100 years! But don't forget lots of pictures.

There are many different roads to travel with this beast. You should read through Brophy,'s Mallory's and especially Farmer's books first, of course. Very interesting history you learn and experience through their minds.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Knute, FWIW:

I don't have Joe Farmer's book, but, I imagine it would be a must read for preparation for your project.
I think, he delves a lot into the politics, 'players' and personalities involved in Ordnance Department decisions of the period.

I don't have K.M. Dorsett's work. I've merely viewed it on the internet. I'm curious what others think of it?

An old booklet, that is a collection of anecdotes and childhood recollections of events, in the Philippines, is Col. Philip M. Shockley's: "The Krag Jorgensen Rifle In the Service".
It is 'dated' and a different writing approach.
Worth reading, if you find a used copy, for a few Bucks at a gun show or on ebay.

A related book that I don't have, but, suspect contains a lot of relevant information, is: "The U.S. Krag Bayonets - History, Variations, Modifications", by Donald J. Hartman.

Good Luck in your efforts and project, Knute!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I will certainly have to read what others have written as I don't want to be a "me too" kind of guy. If I can't find a niche to write about the whole idea will be scrubbed, but at this time I don't think that will happen. So Farmer's book will be the first one I'll acquire.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

As to cost, if you can do your own photography and editing, and provide two "camera-ready" PDF files (one for the cover and one for the interior) using Amazon/KDP, which has a pretty straight-forward interface, your up-front cost will be , , , , , , , ZERO!!! If you require their help, any amount is available, for a price.

Just published my American Flyer train book, and it is available for sale. My next project (which is well along) will be a "memory. book" of my SA collection, 8.5x11, approx. 150 pages, with several hundreds of full color photographs. I started out doing it for myself, but the thought came to me that it might have some limited public appeal as well. The only downside to Amazon/KDP is that they are limited to paperback, and cannot do 11x8.5 (landscape) which was what I wanted. Hardbound will cost you something. I looked at LuLu but did not think much of it.

I, and I'm sure others, would be glad to help with grammar checking.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Dick, thanks for your input and everybody else's thus far. Still putting some thoughts together and will have to do some more reading.