Cartouche

U.S. Military Krags
misanthrope

Cartouche

Post by misanthrope »

IMG_E1741.JPG
IMG_E1741.JPG (774.4 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
Can anyone tell me what these markings on the underside of my Krag stock signify? It's an 1898 rifle, made in 1902.

FredC

Re: Cartouche

Post by FredC »

Can not tell you anything about the cartouche, but that light color of the stock make me think Italian walnut.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The "Circled P" (Proof) indicates the rifle or carbine was function tested and fired. The small letters or number was a stocker or sub-inspector's mark. Most U.S. Krag stocks have these markings.

I agree with FredC, the color and wood grain suggest one of the Italian walnut stock blanks was used. The stock appears to have been refinished.

misanthrope

Post by misanthrope »

Thanks for the info. This is the only Krag I’ve gotten my hands on so I didn’t know about the proof mark. You’re probably right about the stock being refinished; the fore end was cut off at the rear band when it was sporterized many years ago.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'misanthrope' - I forgot my manners - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

Many of us started our Krag interest with a 'sportered' / cut-down rifle. They are fun to shoot and hunt with and a good entry into learning about Krags.

A lot of us enjoy pictures of Krags and this helps generate a lot of discussion and learning.

It is possible to look at and search for earlier pages of discussions and questions about Krags on the KCA. This can be quite educational.

BTW - During the increased production of Krags, during the Spanish American War and Insurrection in the Philippines, Springfield Armory experienced a shortage of cured (American Black Walnut) gun-stock blanks.
They remedied the situation by purchasing Italian walnut blanks from a N.Y.C. Lumber Merchant. These are some of the most beautiful Krag stocks.
The Italian walnut is lighter in color and sometimes has rather exotic grain patterns and 'tiger stripping'. Stock cartouche dates on the Italian stocks seem to run from 1899 to 1902.

misanthrope

Post by misanthrope »

I look forward to learning much more from this forum. I have a replacement fore end from S&S but it’s a plain straight-grained walnut.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

On the bright side, your stock has already been refinished, so there is no crime in refinishing and trying to stain wood to match.

Back in the day, a lot of the Italian walnut stocks were apparently stained, at some level, to darken them so they fit in better with the color of the other Krags in a Company.