SN #35776 Identification Help

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Alestorm123

Re: SN #35776 Identification Help

Post by Alestorm123 »

It was my family's multi-generational hunting rifle until it was broken. I'll keep an eye out for a suitable stock replacement and eventually get it inspected by a gunsmith. If luck happens to be in my favor, I'll be able to present it to my father in a repaired state for Christmas. I appreciate the extensive knowledge that was shared.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Alestorm' - I hope you are able to give your Dad a nice Christmas surprise.

FWIW - The "Hudson Sporting Goods Company" of New York was selling 'Bannermann Krags', at least as late as 1939.

It is conceivable that not all the 'Bannerman guns' contained the fire damaged parts mentioned in the 1914 advertisement.
A lot of good Krags and Krag parts entered the civilian market after WW1.

It is just good to be aware and check for potential damage.

FredC

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:13 pm 'Alestorm' - I hope you are able to give your Dad a nice Christmas surprise.

FWIW - The "Hudson Sporting Goods Company" of New York was selling 'Bannermann Krags', at least as late as 1939.

It is conceivable that not all the 'Bannerman guns' contained the fire damaged parts mentioned in the 1914 advertisement.
A lot of good Krags and Krag parts entered the civilian market after WW1.

It is just good to be aware and check for potential damage.
Not saying for sure, but asking could the abraded serial number on the stamp be an indication of an attempt to removed fire damage? Even if the receiver were partially annealed or over tempered. It would guess it was less prone to a catastrophic failure than the bolt. Since it saw a lot of use I would look for any mushing in the locking lug area and probably get a field gauge and check it every couple of years. Too bad they did not stamp the bad receivers in an out of the way spot with a warning not fire them.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

If you're looking to turn your Krag into a hobby shooter, there are some options available to you. This site will make a 96% inletted stock that you complete to make a new stock. All kinds of wood are available so you can produce a really lovely modernized original. http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm
New barrels are available too.https://criterionbarrels.com/product-ca ... dc5da36527. You may need a gunsmith to fit it properly.

For de-rusting after disassembly, I prefer the electrolysis method. A battery charger, some wash soda from WallyWorld, a piece of steel as a cathode and a tub of water is all it takes. It doesn't remove blueing, just rust. Follow that up with hot or cold bluing and you'll have a lovely restoration. There's no collector value to it, so why not make the most of the experience and have a fine looking new antique.

I just did this to my 1912 Remington .22 pump, turning a broken non shooter into a real nice day at the range piece.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Does the receiver read 1896 or model 1896?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Chuck B

Re: Help (making a new post)

Post by Chuck B »

Hey all; Very new member here. I have an 1896 Krag Ser# 33858. I wanted to start my own post, instead of highjacking this one. for some reason I cannot find the place to do that.
any and all help is appreciated
Thanks
Chuck