Pictures for A Krag Book! (American Models)

U.S. Military Krags
skillest

Pictures for A Krag Book! (American Models)

Post by skillest »

Hi Everyone!

I had recently posted this on the European Krags section of the forum and realized I should probably post it here as well. Sorry if this is considered just a repost.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a book on the Krag-Jorgensen! I'm focusing more on the Norwegian models as most English resources on the Krag focus on the American variety, and somewhat ignore the development of the Norwegian models. I also am going to include more information on the Danish trials and development of the Krag, along with all the danish models that were created since I find some information on that is also lacking in English sources. There is a great amount of research on the Norwegian krag in Karl E Hanevik's work, but unfortunately for the English speaker, it's only written in Norwegian. I've been in contact with Hanevik while doing research on my book, which he has been very helpful with, but the thing that has been hindering the book slightly is photography.

Unfortunately due to COVID it's been difficult to get out there and take pictures of the rifles models that I don't have in my own personal collection. The original idea was to go to Norway and take photos at the mining museum and whatnot, but that looks like it won't be happening, at least until things start to get better in terms of the Virus.

Because of this, I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to post some high-quality photos of your own models of Krags that I would have permission to use in this book? The previous thread was leaning more towards European models, but in this thread, I'm wondering if any of you could post pictures of your American models! Even original equipment that was used alongside the Krag like oilers, bayonets, and more would be very useful!

Besides being curious at what is out there in collectors' hands, I think right now it may be the best course of action for getting photos of the vast variety of Krag models. The photos don't need to be edited or anything, I can take care of most lighting issues and whatnot myself through lightroom/photoshop. As long as the images are clear, and aren't pixelated or blurry they could be useful.

Just in case you're curious, I let you know what stuff I myself have examples of, but the more the merrier! I've got a post war German Model (Stomperud) made on an M1894 sniper receiver, a nazi production Stomperud from 1943, a M1894 (that was unfortunately cut down) and a numbers matching Danish 1889/10. I've also got a M1898 American krag, and 3 norwegian bayonets, 2 of which are M1894 bayos and another is an M1916.

If y'all would like pictures of mine feel free to ask!

I hope this doesn't come off as me being lazy or anything, I just genuinely think one of the best ways to get imagery of these Krags at the moment is to ask the online community, as travel outside of Canada to take my own photos at the moment is next to impossible. Of course you would be credited in the book in any way you want, obviously as you are the photographer.

Keep in mind that I can't guarantee that your photos would actually used, it always depends on if it would fit well in the book. But even if they aren't used I would still like to credit anyone willing to help out by posting their photos.

Thanks!

Dick Hosmer

Re: Pictures for A Krag Book! (American Models)

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sort of an associated question, if you have not yet settled on a publisher/printer, etc., or are set on hardbound, I can (after doing two books all by myself, from scratch) recommend Kindle Direct Publishing, a subsidiary of the hated Amazon. I use a Mac and did the whole thing in Pages (word processor) and Preview (photo editor). Used a camera for the first, and my iPhone8 for the second. It did such a good job and was SO convenient that I may forsake the camera for good. Don't think I have any Krag photos you could use, aside from a few on the 26" BoOF rifles. Unfortunately, both of mine have compromised stocks, but could at least provide good pics of the special rear sight.
Last edited by Dick Hosmer on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skillest

Post by skillest »

Hi! Thanks on the offer, but I do have a separate publisher already in mind. My day job is design and marketing, and I design the books for Headstamp Publishing, a firearms centric publishing company. I've discussed the book with them already but my book is obviously a year or two off from even having the first draft done completely, and I'm focusing on other things. I'm sure I'd end up going with them but if things don't work out with them though I will consider what you've said!

As for your pictures of those Krags, like I said, the more the merrier! I would like to include those krags as well as they're a fun and unique version of American Krag models, so feel free to post any pictures you have of it!

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

I'll also be interested in posted photos. We are limited to image size on this forum. You may need high res pics emailed but I would like to see them here as well.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

skillest

Post by skillest »

Ah! Fair enough. If file size is limited on the forum you can send photos to Justin.bairdy@gmail.com!