Advantage of Polish Influence!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Advantage of Polish Influence!

Post by butlersrangers »

The S.E. Michigan area has a large population of people of Polish descent.

This is great for Bakeries ... bad for waistlines and Diabetics.

Happy Valentine's Day!

.... and remember, Tuesday will be "Paczki Day".
(A magnum 'filled' pastry, to fortify for Lent, with 4 times the calories of this Jelly Doughnut).
Attachments
valentine.jpg
valentine.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Re: Advantage of Polish Influence!

Post by FredC »

In the middle of a polar vortex extra calories help you stay warm. That is a good thing.

The only time I eat ice cream is in the winter when I have to work outside.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Probably could have used a dozen of those Paczkis. Just realized that I can microwave the ice cream and drink it and still get the benefit of all the calories.
Just got almost all of the faucets opened up and will drain the water system, move the cows and feed them. Only a couple more sessions to finish that.
BRR!
After that I have to figure out what to do with the irrigation main lines and valves. Never had to worry about them even when the temperature got down to 20F. They are predicting 2 days in a row with 10 or 11 lows and never getting above freezing. I think that is too cold for even 4",6" and 8" pipes. Can not figure out how to drain them. More ice cream needed!

Last week our weather was unseasonably warm lows in the 60s and highs near 80. Distant fond memory now.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My only Texas experience was a week in San Antonio, three Winters ago.

Sunday at the Alamo, 85 degrees. The rest of the week, was ice storms and below 30 degrees.

"Texas Cold" is damn cold!

I'm glad, we are Michiganders and packed way too much warm clothing, for what was expected. We needed every layer!

Same thing happened in Mesa Verdi National Park, during Spring, two years ago. We were "Snowed In" the park, with iced roads, and "white outs". Cool adventures!

Tending livestock and maintaining equipment and water supply in frigid weather is brutal. Stay warm!

(BTW - We've never understood, why they close the Dairy Queen in Winter? Any time is a good time for ice cream and hot fudge)!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Yeah, it is cold. Now 22F here and still a mix of mist and ice pellets!?! The cold layer must be very shallow as 10 below freezing it should not be wet and sticking like that. Ground is already frozen, the four wheeler was sliding and spining the tires on gravel and dirt roads. Grass blades covered with ice. Black cows look white with the ice on their coats. Boy are they complaining! This is a Polish area we get our mail in Poth, but I never heard of your Paczkis. Maybe if the roads are open Tuesday I will check with the Poth donut shop.
Listened to the emergency pager this afternoon did not hear one covid call today but one call after another with wrecks and people falling on their walks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Shrove Tuesday or "Fat Tuesday" , also called Paczki Day, (pronounced - 'poonch-key', plural or 'poon-check', singular), this is a big event that crosses all cultures in the Detroit area.

The dough is very very dense and much heavier than a doughnut. You have to pace yourself and not over indulge!

Custard and lemon filling seem to be the most popular; a whole array of fruit fillings are offered.

I actually quite enjoy the traditional prune filling.
Attachments
Paczki Day.jpg
Paczki Day.jpg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Look great!
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member