New Member in the Old Dominion

U.S. Military Krags
USMA-1982

New Member in the Old Dominion

Post by USMA-1982 »

Hello and very happy to be part of the group. I'm retired Army and have been collecting and cloning U.S. Army vintage rifles for about 3 years now. My gateway drug was a CMP M1 Garand. I now have two Garands, a 1903, two 1917s, an M14 clone built off an SAI M1A, an XM16E1 clone, an M16A4 clone and now an 1898 rifle and a couple of carbine projects.

Of the vintage arms, the Krags have definitely become my favorites. I got started only last July when a cut down 1898 in decent shape became available locally for what I thought was a pretty reasonable price. After quite a bit of reading and on-line research, I believe this one is a Stokes Kirk carbine conversion. It's a 1901 Model 1898 receiver with cut down barrel in an unissued 1899 carbine stock (no cartouche or P). The rear sight is a 1901 rifle, and the front sight looks like one of the sleeved sporting sights offered by Stokes Kirk in their catalogs. It came minus the handguard but I was able to locate a 1901 after only a few weeks. My 2nd Krag is a complete Model 1898 rifle made in 1902 with a 1901 rear sight, very clear cartouche and P. I picked this one up only last month and haven't got it to the range yet. I also found a bayonet in pretty nice shape to go with the rifle. The S-K cutdown has since morphed into two projects, but I'll save that for the next post.

Have been enjoying learning the history of the Krag as well as shooting the carbine. I may have to get into reloading now as well since finding .30-40 ammo in this environment has become almost impossible.

Here are some pics and I look forward to contributing here and keeping the Krag history alive.

All the best,
Ed

S-K as purchased - removed the sporter sling swivels and added a 1901 handguard.

butlersrangers

Re: New Member in the Old Dominion

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome Ed, to the KCA forum.

Nice looking model 1898 rifle and 'faux carbine'. Krags are fun!