Target Shooting Sight Micrometers

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Cat Man

Target Shooting Sight Micrometers

Post by Cat Man »

Model 1901 Krag rear sight adjustments was not so precise until civilian riflemen created a device which could raise or lower the sight elevation in half minute increments.

There were three popular types for the Krag. Sold by P J O'Hare a well know shooter and vendor. 100 years after there invention, vintage rifle shooters still know them as "O'Hare Sight Micrometers".

Culpeper

Re: Target Shooting Sight Micrometers

Post by Culpeper »

I bought two of these way back in the day.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/discontinued-by-manufacturerrepro-of-the-pj-ohare-m1903-sight-micrometer-sbsmic

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/MIKE_SML.JPG
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks 'Cat Man' for starting this thread and sharing your neat photo.

The late Joe DeChristopher use to list some of the O'Hare sight devices (mainly for the 1903 Springfield) in his catalog.

Pictured item #5 is for the U.S. Krag rifle.Image

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

I bought two of these way back in the day.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/discontinued-by-manufacturerrepro-of-the-pj-ohare-m1903-sight-micrometer-sbsmic

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/MIKE_SML.JPG

I bought mine from Ray-Vin, I see he is retired and selling out what little he has left in stock. Glad I got mine back in the day...

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I bought mine from Ray-Vin too. Those were to only two places I could find pics of the micrometer.

I think he has been retired for five or so years.

Now to get one of the fancy smokers just in case I get a rifle that I need to blacken the sights.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

The micrometers will also work on a Krag as well as a Buffington trapdoor sightImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'HeyJoe' - Beautiful items & photo!

The British had similar precision sight adjusters:Image

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Here are two more views of the rear sight micrometers for more detail.

The one in the center is imported from England as seen in the lower corner. PJ O'Hare imported a number of target shooting items that were identified with his logo. Bill Brophy referred to that micrometer as a "Convoy" Micrometer in this Krag book?

The Ideal Model cost less but was a bit more difficult to use. They all require about three hands to use them effectively when shooting prone with a good tight sling while the clock is running on the firing line.

The other O'Hare micrometer in the collection is vintage ex military rifle team property. It has been twice marked and numbered "USCG #24".

As a long time target shooter, I like collecting these crazy little marksmanship items.

ImageImage

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

P.J. O'Hare catalog NO.8 ,no date, lists the micrometer for $5.00, the sight cover for $1.00. If in a "special hurry" your payment and order could be sent by telegraph. We're not that much quicker today.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some wonderful stuff!

I have to ask. Were these simply precision/adjustable gauges that helped finesse a sight-setting and return to a 'recorded' setting ... or ... do some models remain attached to a sight to add micro-adjustment for elevation?