The Krag challenge

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Re: The Krag challenge

Post by Knute1 »

Sometimes I'm just not in step with everybody. But in the picture just to the right of Ole's shoulder it looks like a railing to me with slots and not posts for the railing. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right thing, but that is my best guess.

To me it looks like the man to the right of Ole is leaning on what I believe to be the railing. Possibly a motel balcony? Perhaps a ship's balcony? My story is that he is on passage to or from the U.S. showing off his rifle design on a ship. Had to have something to do on his long trip.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Knute,
I do not know now. Br has a copy that is perhaps clearer since it is not compressed for display here. With the colored squiggles I thought they were rifles. Without the squiggles it looked more regular than racked riffles. Funny place for railing or radiators below the windows. Without a photo from a different angle or one with more pixels I am going to go with Br since his photo is probably better.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I posted the clearest & most defined image, I could make, of Ole H.J. Krag, in Paris, 1900.

The background is simply not in focus. I do not believe it was taken on a ship.

I think FredC had it correct when he thought it to be rifles in a long rack.
The rifles appear to be in the rack at an angle. We are apparently seeing the bottom of the butt, trigger-guard, action (or possibly slings), and forearm.

Possibly, we are seeing racks of Lebel rifles, with their long 'slab-sided' action?

The photograph of Ole Krag appears in Karl Egil Hanevik's book, "The Krag-Jorgensen Gevaeret", page 58.
The Norwegian caption that appears under the photo, roughly translates:

"Colonel Krag in civilian (clothes). He has written in the picture that it was taken in Paris, 1900,
while demonstrating the separation (disassembly?) of the gun".
Attachments
Mister Krag - Paris 1900.jpg
Mister Krag - Paris 1900.jpg (195.19 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Mister Krag - Paris 1900 edit (2).png
Mister Krag - Paris 1900 edit (2).png (364.84 KiB) Viewed 485 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If Lebel rifles were 'racked' with the bolt 'open', they could be 'angular- parked' very close together. They would appear much like the rifles in the background of the Ole Krag photograph.

Attached photos: Lebel rifles being fired at the 1900 Olympics on the Camp de Satory range, near Versailles. A French soldier with a Lebel rifle.
Attachments
Paris 1900 Olympics - Camp de Satory.jpg
Paris 1900 Olympics - Camp de Satory.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 480 times
poilu-1.jpg
poilu-1.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 483 times