You don't see this everyday.

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: You don't see this everyday.

Post by FredC »

I am surprised nothing shows on the right side of the rifle. I wish the view was from a little higher.

When you look at the rectangular opening in the bolt body at about 3 or 4 o-clock you see metal pushed outward and behind it the firing pin has a severe dent where it looks like it pushed against the broken "window" in the bolt. Just seeing the left side I would think the strike was from the other side. With the right side a bullet strike would have to been just higher than the opening. It does not seem as likely now. A high velocity impact on the left side does not match what I would expect. Weird rebound, possible but I do not like it. Laws of physics always are good. In a high velocity impact different laws apply to different parts of the sequence. Not enough info here.

Thread title is exactly correct, "You do not see this every day."

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - There is never enough information!
A lot has been forgotten, buried, and maybe yet to be found out or 'rediscovered', about this Krag rifle.

I am happy to have run across and connected some aspects of this rifle's story.

I am surprised there is not more commentary from other KCA 'participants'. (This leaves me feeling kind of foolish and focused on very trivial stuff).

In respect to the damage to Krag #170493, much is probably related to the type of projectile and the velocity.

Remember, a lot of the Philippine insurgents were using an odd array of weapons and ammunition.

The bullet that struck this rifle could have been a .43 caliber Lead projectile, from a Rolling-Block, driven by homemade black powder, ignited by a used primer reloaded with match-head material!

waterman

Post by waterman »

Back when match heads actually worked. That hit might have saved some soldado's life.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I understand after the Spanish American War the US armed the friendly filipinos with black powder rifles as well — kind of a trust issue. There was also general push for larger calibers and shotguns for improved stopping power due to Moro/Juramentado suicide attacks.

Related Hollywood Movie (there’s lots of Krags in it)
The Real Glory(1939) with Gary Cooper
A small American contingent tries to train rural tribesmen to defend themselves against fanatical Muslim radicals in 1906 Philippines.

Available to watch on Amazon Prime with your prime membership.