PRIMERS

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Olpeddler

PRIMERS

Post by Olpeddler »

Anyone out there have a "secret source" for Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers ? OK, now to get back to reality. On another forum, I frequently see posts describing how primers show up on Midway, Graf&Sons, and Mid-South websites. I have been on the "Notify Me" lists at Midway and Mid-South for about a year and have never received an email that they have primers in stock. I am told that when the big warehouses have primers in stock, they are gone within an hour or two. Additionally, I have seen a few posts about 'hitting the jackpot' at some large chain and independent retailer.
With the exception of .44 Mag, I load several rifle calibers from .270 up through .45-70. I acquired my model 1899 Krag in 2019, and since then most of my reloading has been for that rifle. I'd sure like to hear from any Forum members about your insights and perspectives on when large rifle primers might again become available. I'm curious to learn how you folks who compete at the Camp Perry matches get primers; are they available at the Camp Perry store?
Thanks for your thoughts.

GBertolet

Re: PRIMERS

Post by GBertolet »

Can't help on where to get primers, but with cast bullet loads, or any loadings below 40k pressure, you can substitute large pistol primers. I do it all the time. They work best with easy to ignite powders.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

yup hard to find ... I have not seen any small or large pistols primers for 2 years .... But if you look on Midway USA shooting early every morning they got large and small rifle primers ... they show up about once a month in the morning and they are sold out by noon and limited to one box per order ... I have got all the large and small rifle primers i can use .... have a look ...
Attachments
DSCN1529.JPG
DSCN1529.JPG (196.1 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

polska

Post by polska »

This is why I tell shooting friends to frequent local gunshops and be a regular customer. Yes I have paid more for supplies and firearms from dealing with mostly one shop, but I have been able to get primers and powder just about whenever I've needed them, because I am known and they put aside for regular customers. Yes I do buy some online and getting that great price online is wonderful but they have no customer loyalty.
I'm an old boomer and go to the same butcher shop, seafood store, produce market and don't shop the big box markets. I also walk into my local bank, don't use ATM, and all the tellers know who I am by name. Makes life easier when there's a problem.
I realize that's old school but that is the way the USA used to work.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Psst, Pssstt, do not tell anyone but i got an email from Lohman Arms that they have small pistol primers in stock. They were imported, some Italian brand that sounded like Fiocchi or something like that.
Last edited by FredC on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Save your spent primers. You can do what the insurrectionists did in the Philippines.

Shave matchhead material into the spent 'cups' and reuse the 'freshly charged' primers.

Some of them will 'ignite'. Super Authentic!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Guys probably still have the strike anywhere matches they bought during the last primer shortage. I know I still have mine! I did manage to find a collector brick of Herter's primers back then. They were Japanese made, every one of them went bang and I developed some accurate loads with them.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Don't tell anyone but Loham has small pistol primers again. This time Magtech. Looked for brass and none in stock, but they did have a few bullets in stock.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I do not use CCI primers but a bunch of large rifle primers just showed up at Loham. Still looking for Rem 45/70 Brass.