Check and Double Check .30 Remington

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Parashooter

Re: Check and Double Check .30 Remington

Post by Parashooter »

Culpeper wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:29 pmI want to shoot French 75mm but it will take a little extra moola to buy one of those but in the mean time I keep my eyes peeled for spent brass.
Never mind the brass, imagine the cost of projectiles for a French 75mm -

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Or the full length sizing and seating dies
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Red Hot Chili Culpepper,

I usually buy the bayonet first then the gun.

Here's a lonely little Remington Model 14 carbine that needs a home and some TLC.

I especially like the trigger guard wrap!!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924298479

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I have a model 14 made in 1913, chambered in 30 Remington. The chamber is a bit sloppy and I found it best to seat a bullet out into the lands and single load them for the first firing. You don't get a lot of case stretch then. The 14 is somewhat picky about bullet shape and oal. It looks to me like the Lee 160gr would be a good cast bullet, but the tube magazine would likely require a hard alloy. The .307" bullets I pulled from the factory rounds I'll use to make up some hunting loads for my K31 that has a .306 groove diameter. You can get the 14 jammed up monkeying around with it and there's some tips on freeing them up on the Remington Collector's website, lots of other info on them too, and some posts by yours truly. If 30 Remington was legal for deer in Ohio, it'd probably be the rifle I'd use instead of my AR in 350 Legend. The rifle in the link above was made in 1912, maybe a replacement forearm.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nothing more ridiculous than a French 75 Mime!

They put on an elaborately choreographed routine, pull the lanyard, and a little flag that reads "POW", silently pops out!
Attachments
Mime 75.jpg
Mime 75.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Maybe no ear plugs is the giveaway, that it is not going to be real?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Local Boy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:58 pm ... I usually buy the bayonet first then the gun. ...

HA!! Done that too.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I just ran across some of the 30 Remington factory rounds that I fired. Now I see why I decided to pull bullets and stick em out in the lands a bit, they have primers protruding as much as .019" Might take a couple firings to get the shoulder where it's supposed to be at the low operating pressure of the round. I have a very fat nosed 150gr cast bullet I use to fill the throat and some Berry 110gr plated bullets that can also be seated out just enough to keep the head of the case against the breechface. The fatnosed 150 also has a meplat that doesn't feed well. The 110gr bullets are barely in the case mouth, but at an OAL that functions in the model 14, 2.535" I use some flake powder that burns about Blue Dot speed for case forming loads with both weights. The 110s are fun plinkers!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Dang! That is a sloppy chamber. I'll keep that in mind when I go to get a rifle.