Check and Double Check .30 Remington

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Check and Double Check .30 Remington

Post by Culpeper »

I bought some original R-P .30 Remington brass years ago. I think it was 140 rounds or so of NOS brass. However I never got around to finding a die set. Found a set in the wild on EvilBay. I have everything I need to reload for that caliber.

Now I just have to find a rifle chambered for it.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: Check and Double Check .30 Remington

Post by FredC »

It should be easy to find older rifles of all types as it was once a popular chambering. Not popular today so price should be in your favor. A new rifle may require some searching or building a custom.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I did find a couple of references to a new 30 Remington AR. Not sure if that is a new case or the old 30 Rem loaded to higher pressures. If it is the old case to newer pressures you are set with your dies and a wider choice of guns to shoot said cartridge.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

No. Not the same cartridge. According to a certain web site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Remington_AR
The .30 Remington AR cartridge was created in 2008 by Remington Arms to fill a perceived gap in performance on large game between the .223 Remington and larger cartridges such as the .308 Winchester.[1] Design of the cartridge is considered a joint effort between companies under the "Freedom Group" name through a private equity firm[1] and included such companies as Bushmaster, DPMS and Remington itself. It is a rebated rim cartridge designed to fit Remington's R-15 semiautomatic hunting rifle. It was designed to fit the dimensional constraints of the AR-15 magazine and is based on a modification of the .450 Bushmaster, which in turn was based on the .284 Winchester.[2]

Remington was the only company that manufactured this ammunition and its components.[3] The cartridge was a commercial failure and has been discontinued by Remington.

This is what I have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Remington
The .30 Remington cartridge was created in 1906 by Remington Arms. It was Remington's rimless answer to the popular .30-30 Winchester cartridge. Factory ammunition was produced until the late 1980s, but now it is a prospect for handloaders. Load data for the .30-30 Winchester can be used safely for the .30 Remington.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Well 'Culpeper', it is pretty backward to start with cartridge cases and Dies and then go shopping for a rifle to reload for!

A Standard Arms model G or model M is the 'POS-Headache' rifle you deserve.

But a Remington model 8 or 81 rifle in .30 cal. Remington is what you could look for and might enjoy.
IIRC - French Aviators may have used some model 8 rifles in the air during WW1.
For years, the Remington semi-autos were plentiful and cheap on the used gun market.
Now, they have gotten rather pricey.

I was once looking for a nice one in .35 Remington, but I waited too long.
Attachments
Standard-Arms-Model-G-and-M.jpg
Standard-Arms-Model-G-and-M.jpg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Standard-Arms-Model-G.jpg
Standard-Arms-Model-G.jpg (65.95 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Remington model 8 and 81.jpg
Remington model 8 and 81.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yep. Way backwards but I have espoused for years, since about 2005, buy the ammo first and then the particular arm. It has served me well. Bought .35 Rem ammo then the Model 81. Bought the .236 USN brass, next the FL die set, then the 1895 Winchester Lee rifle. The .30 Remington stuff will be no different. Chances are I will get another Model 81 or just Model 8. However, a Remington model 14/141 looks interesting though I am not much of a pump action shooter.

I've been very lucky regarding other calibers, too. Ammo was always available when I was buying the Garands, 1903s, 1917s and other common stuff. On the other hand I got it in my head way back when I was going to someday get a Chauchat. I did not find any for sale at the time but I did find fourteen magazines over a two year period. But hold on, I need 8mm Lebel to fill them so I bought two cases. It doesn't go bad and can wait patiently while a gun shows up. Then came the Remington 07/15 which happens to shoot, TA-DA, 8mm Lebel. No waiting. Ammo on hand already.

I bought two cases of Ruskie 7.62 x 39 ammo this past autumn. One as a gift and the other just in case I find a rifle I can not live without.

In the contemporary time of today's ammo shortages how many stories are there that go something like this, "What? I just bought this gun from you but you don't have any ammo on the shelf for it?".

The guns will always be out there for sale. The ammo may not. Buy the ammo first. The gun will come when it comes.
Last edited by Culpeper on Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

I was in high school when I bought a Standard, although in .35 Remington. I never could get the thing to fire. Only once in a great while did I ever get the action to come open. Once, when the action was working, I loaded it with 3 live cartridges. I thought I'd better not shoot the thing. Unloading was only somewhat of a hassle. Anyhow, if a Standard comes your way, it's a collection piece only. The Standard I had was brass plated, then silver plated and engraved. It had very nice wood.

Sometimes (maybe twice in 64 years), I've found Stevens 425 (?) lever actions in .30 Remington. They are a bit like an early Marlin 36. You might also really hit the jackpot and find a Remington 30-S. That would be a real find.

I have a beat up 1902 Remington Rolling Block, 7x57. Re-barreling that to .30 Remington ought to work.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

... You might also really hit the jackpot and find a Remington 30-S. ...

Dare to dream. That would be Shangri-La or Eden before the fall.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Culpeper wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:06 pm Yep. Way backwards but I have espoused for years, since about 2005, buy the ammo first and then the particular arm. It has served me well. Bought .35 Rem ammo then the Model 81. Bought the .236 USN brass, next the FL die set, then the 1895 Winchester Lee rifle. The .30 Remington stuff will be no different. Chances are I will get another Model 81 or just Model 8. However, a Remington model 14/141 looks interesting though I am not much of a pump action shooter.

I've been very lucky regarding other calibers, too. Ammo was always available when I was buying the Garands, 1903s, 1917s and other common stuff. On the other hand I got it in my head way back when I was going to someday get a Chauchat. I did not find any for sale at the time but I did find fourteen magazines over a two year period. But hold on, I need 8mm Lebel to fill them so I bought two cases. It doesn't go bad and can wait patiently while a gun shows up. Then came the Remington 07/15 which happens to shoot, TA-DA, 8mm Lebel. No waiting. Ammo on hand already.

I bought two cases of Ruskie 7.62 x 39 ammo this past autumn. One as a gift and the other just in case I find a rifle I can not live without.

In the contemporary time of today's ammo shortages how many stories are there that go something like this, "What? I just bought this gun from you but you don't have any ammo on the shelf for it?".

The guns will always be out there for sale. The ammo may not. Buy the ammo first. The gun will come when it comes.

You have made what seems to be backwards look smart! I bought my Savage 25 in 222 in an ammo shortage soon after found 200 Lapua match cases. Normally I would never have bought Lapua cases but nothing else was available. Beautifully finished, no deburring is required. It was cheap compared to nonexistent '06 or 30/40 and shoots 1/2" groups in the dark with a generation 2+ night vision scope, came out smelling good in that deal, but not every caliber has Lapua available.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if it is smart or more along the line of practical. Most of the time guys decide in their heads they are going to purchase a rifle or shotgun for X. Whether X is hunting, target shooting, or just plain plinking with the daughters or sons. It would not do to get their hopes up after getting a new toy and only buying a fifty round box of .22LR. In that example chances are the guy had an idea he was going to get a beginner rifle for Johnny or Suzie but did not factor in a little "before" purchase of enough ammo to keep them interested in the sport. Or the husband whose wife has finally come to grips with her fear of guns and decided she wants to learn how to shoot. Do you buy one or two boxes .823 superboomin' and call it good? I say no. Have a little forethought of what she may want to shoot. And nothing says "Not scary" like that cute little .22LR to train an already scared person over the hurdle of arms handling.

I want to shoot French 75mm but it will take a little extra moola to buy one of those but in the mean time I keep my eyes peeled for spent brass.