Do not forget the old family run gunshops

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Do not forget the old family run gunshops

Post by FredC »

I needed some more 35 caliber 200 grain bullets for pig hunting and went to Nagels Guns in San Antonio. Did not have the Sierra that I had been using (no surprise there) but did have Hornaday partition bullets in 200 grain round nose. Thinking that a partition bullet may need to be driven at magnum velocities to expand, we looked up loading data for that bullet in 35 Remington. Sure enough it was there suggesting that it would expand at 35/40 velocities. They were a bit pricey but it was my fault for not getting more of the other when that could have been on the shelf. I asked about 45/70 Remington brass did not have any but forgot to check to see if they had 30/40. We do a lot of searching online but do not forget the old family gun shops they may not have what you wanted but may have that will work.

Parashooter

Re: Do not forget the old family run gunshops

Post by Parashooter »

Hornady 35 Cal .358 200 gr InterLock® RN
Item #3515 | 100/Box
Is this the item you describe as "Hornaday partition bullets in 200 grain round nose"?

FredC

Post by FredC »

That is probably it. Boxes are in the house and I am typing from the shop.
Thanks.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

If that's the item, then it's probably not what I'd call a "partition" design. The cutaway image shows a small "inner belt" aft of the cannelure. Hornady describes it thus -
InterLock® Ring
The raised InterLock® ring is embedded in the bullet's core, ensuring the core and jacket are locked in one piece during expansion to retain mass and energy.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/3 ... /#features

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Nosler sells "partition" projectiles

FredC

Post by FredC »

Parashooter, you got it exactly right. #3515 is the number on the box. Looks like it should be good for the poor man's grizzly bear (wild pigs). I will use p the Sierra bullets before I start loading these. I am not sure I could tell them apart from the business end once they are loaded. So it will be a while before I can write a report.

Do not forget the old family gun shops when looking for scarce supplies.