Matte vs Polished

U.S. Military Krags
mr.tickle

Matte vs Polished

Post by mr.tickle »

Happy Sunday everyone! Was deep cleaning my Krag and was seriously wondering about sending it to the CMP to have them reblue it. I realize that may be heresy on here but a lot of it is a rust patina (except the metal under the woodline). Not fully committing to it yet but were the original Krags matte blued or polished blued?
I'm just here for the food...

butlersrangers

Re: Matte vs Polished

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - U.S. Krags were not 'Blued'. Original Krag finishes were complicated.

Receivers and many small parts were casehardened.
Barrels, trigger-guards, front barrel-bands, and rear-sight bases were 'browned', a rust blued process.
Screws, swivels, and some small parts were oil-blackened.
Extractors were flame-blued.
Bolts and rear-sight leaves were polished 'white'.

Most U.S. Krags were arsenal 'refurbished' one or more times during their service. At least prior to the WW-1 era reconditioning, there was a precise procedure for the refinishing of the various Krag parts.

I don't think any KCA members will be critical, if you go the CMP refinish route.

Most of us like preserving original finishes and patina.
We have learned that Krags were finished differently than later generations of U.S. arms.
It is also understood that some Krag rifles have metal that has gotten into a very bad state.
Just educate yourself before deciding.

(Keep in mind that new looking metal on an old worn stock is not a good look).

Whig

Post by Whig »

mr. tickle (my kid's favorite book from the Mr. Men series!),

You may be on to a good choice for your Krag. But, since many of us are pretty particular as to what happens to good Krag rifles and carbines out there, can you give us a little more information about your Krag and some pictures. We may have some other suggestions to save you money and keep your Krag a little more militarily "correct". Some surface rust can easily be removed with the edge of a (real) copper penny. Get one made before 1981. Scraping slowly at surface rust can easily remove it and rubbing the metal with Renaissance Wax can give it a great look without really damaging it or changing the original patina. There are other things to do but pictures and more info might help.

There may not be much help for your Krag, though, but we always like to look and comment. BRs made a good point that CMP is a good choice to do some of the work on your Krag, should you choose that route.

Hope you can figure it out! How is the bore of your Krag?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

We are not overly judgmental, but if your receiver parts look anything like the first two photos, it would be a mistake to 'refinish'.
People who are not familiar with Krag finishes do not always appreciate originality and honest aging.

We will reserve judgment.
Attachments
Krag colors.jpg
Krag colors.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 896 times
krag colors2.jpg
krag colors2.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 896 times
DAC-1890s.jpg
DAC-1890s.jpg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 896 times

King carp

Post by King carp »

If your rifle is in original military configuration i think i would not have it refinished. I do not think the CMP would go through all the steps that Butlers rangers listed. They would probably reblue or parkerize your rifle. Before you send it off try what Whig suggested. Also some ballistol with 0000 steelwool used carefully has improved the looks on some of my well worn pieces. I do not mind honest wear on U.S. military arms. They got that way defending our country. Once you refinsh a rifle like that i think it loses some of its history. If you can post a picture of your rifle
It would be nice to see it. Stay safe.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

I've got it in a state of disassembly right now. I am currently treating the stock with some linseed oil. I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow. The buttplate i treated with evaporust because I took it off the stock and heaven have mercy it was ugly! I wasn't thrilled about doing it but with the amount of rust on it I wasnt keen on ignoring it. Plus there was no finish left on it.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

Ok I took some pics of the small parts and the stock. The bolt body is NOS after the orignal failed a headspace check (I still have it). The gun originally was equpped with 1896 sights. I acquired 1901 sights and put them on instead.

https://imgur.com/KM6ukld
https://imgur.com/EqTrMPV
https://imgur.com/x2mOpZr
https://imgur.com/Ua6E6mb

Whig

Post by Whig »

Don't see the receiver but so far I'd keep it the way it is and keep up your cleaning work. Maybe it's better than you think! Still need info about the bore, though.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some of the various finishes that were put on U.S. Krag metal parts did not holdup well.

It is common for the exterior of a Krag butt-plate to appear rather devoid of finish. (Photo 1)

When first finished the butt-plate appeared rust-blued and the 'trap-door' was casehardened. (Photos 2 & 3)

In regards to the photos you have posted, I would not refinish the parts shown.
Attachments
krag-stuff in place.JPG
krag-stuff in place.JPG (93.95 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Butt-1.jpg
Butt-1.jpg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Butt-2.jpg
Butt-2.jpg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

D’oh! Forgot to mention it. Receiver is locked up in the safe didn’t feel like opening up tonight (why I didn’t get a key pad is beyond me!). I’ll get it out tomorrow bore is pretty good. No pitting and plenty of rifling! Only gripe is on the middle barrel band, screw is tightened as much as it will go and it still slides back and forth.