Replacement Front Sight

U.S. Military Krags
mr.tickle

Replacement Front Sight

Post by mr.tickle »

Afternoon Everyone!

Finally got my krag out to the range with 220gr reloads and it shoots UBER high. I saw S&S sells replacement blades. Anyone have experience with these and replacing front sight blades? I assume I may need to file the replacement blade down to get it right. Is there a certain type of file I need to use?

Just to fill in some details. It was an 1898 Krag Rifle with 1901 sights on the 100yd setting. Shooting at 100yds from a bench, resting on sand bags. Was using a 6 o'clock hold. Reloads were sitting 220gr RN on 38.5 to 40.0gr of IMR 4350. Target used was an SR1-C target (10.5" by 10.5"), of the rounds shot only two of the 38.5 rounds clipped the top edge of the paper.
I'm just here for the food...

FredC

Re: Replacement Front Sight

Post by FredC »

I have a sneaky feeling they are all the same height. SA went to such great lengths to make everything interchangeable. If any adjustment is needed a smooth cut file would give the best finish. Maybe some spot blue to touch up. I have not seen any new sights. The few that I have seen in person were bare steel. I commented on a blue one I saw here and thought it was odd that it was blued, I guess they were made that way now.
Major trick will know which way to drive out the pin it is tapered and should only be driven out from the small side. One or both sides maybe peened and eyeball exam could fool you. I would wait for an expert advice before I start.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

(NOT AN EXPERT - I just look at a lot of old guns and try to pay attention to details).

The original blade that was used with the model 1901 and 1902 rifle-sights, when removed from the front-base, should measure around .413 inches in height.
Sometimes sight blades get 'messed with'.

What does your current blade measure?

(Note - An original front-sight 'pin' is tapered. It should be driven from left to right for removal. The left end of pin was slightly 'mushroomed', after installation, so it did not accidentally fall out).

To experiment with height, a small length of wire can be glued on the top edge of the current blade with 'J. B. Weld' to arrive at a successful height.

FWIW - Make sure your front-guard screw is tight and the rear-guard screw is just 'snug', so it is not torquing the barrel upward from its forearm 'channel'.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

If I recall correctly the 1896 sight and 1892 sight used a shorter blade height, it could be that someone swapped rear sights around sometime in your rifles past, at least depending on production date by the serial number it could have been an 1896 sight well they were gearing up to produce the 1901 rear sight as the 1898 sight was set up for a higher velocity load and something temporary was needed until the 1901 was produced.
Regarding the replacement sights by SS, the two I used were indistinguishable from the original 1901 height front sight blade I had with the exception of the very bright finish, once the sight is filed to what works for your load, if any is necessary, you can flame blue it and drop it in oil to darken it, use a propane torch and heat it until it changes to blue/black and then drop it in oil.
Not sure if they were blued from the beginning but they have definitely darkened with time if not and this will help blend it in so it doesn't stand out at least.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

I hadn’t removed it yet don’t want to loose the pin. If it’s mushroomed on the left won’t I need to punch it out r to l?

When I got my rifle it was equipped with an 1896 sight so I suspect that it has the shorter front sight.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Please don't tap the sight out right to left, will cause a jam with the taper. A small enough punch will just roll in the mushroomed
portion on the left.
Remember a short front sight will cause the high hits you describe. Likely a taller 1901 front sight will help, with no filing needed
to match your 1901 rear sight as Zac explained.
Great advice from all above here, follow and you'll be fine.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

I'm going to semi-hijack my own thread here...

I assume I have a rifle type rear sight (Just getting paranoid).

Does anyone know what this symbol is? It looks like an "8" or is it an "R" signifying a rifle calibrated rear sight?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'mr.tickle', I suspect it is an "8" and that whoever stamped the part 'flinched' or double stamped it.

I don't know the exact purpose of the digit. Possibly it was to to indicate inspection or to 'ID' similar, but different parts for the various model 1901 sights?

It is common to see a digit stamped in that location on the 1901 sight base.
Attached photo shows one of my sights with a clear "8".
(Another Krag detail we should pay more attention to).
Attachments
m1901-1.jpg
m1901-1.jpg (203.66 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

Gentlemen, the operation was a success and the patient is currently resting... Definitely had the shorter front sight on it originally. This new one from S&S is .413 per their customer service. Hopefully this will solve my issues (besides the unfixable problem of the guy pulling the trigger).