New to here! Looking for info on Krag

U.S. Military Krags
EagleKeeper

New to here! Looking for info on Krag

Post by EagleKeeper »

Serial?  Looks like an 8 but it must be a 3
Serial? Looks like an 8 but it must be a 3
IMG-2629(1).jpg (487.83 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Hello, and I want to start off to say thank you for any information you can bestow onto me. I recently came into possession of a 1899 Springfield Armory rifle, to which I have now learned is considered a 'Krag' for short. Unfortunately, the owner has passed, so any history or information on this rifle is lost in time, but I wanted some help to identify what this particular one is. I have found traces of the cartouche, but its so dried(?) its illegible. I tried to capture some of the important features in the attached photos to follow. Any info or help is greatly appreciated! The serial number looks like an "8" starting in my opinion, but it could very well be a damaged "3" -this gun has been sitting in silent storage so its sustained some neglect. The full length if approx 41" inches, the barrel from breech to muzzle is 22".

Part of me wants to run some gun oil over the action and through the barrel, and give the stock a gentle rub down, but I don't knwo if it would so more harm than good. I don't expect to fire this rifle, but I appreciate it as a piece of history and want to keep in intact, but also safe.
Thank you!
Sights with "C" stamping
Sights with "C" stamping
IMG-2627(1).jpg (598.53 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Full length
Full length
IMG-2636.jpg (264.32 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Trigger guard mark?
Trigger guard mark?
IMG-2638.jpg (491.81 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Attachments
Illegible cartouche
Illegible cartouche
IMG-2626.jpg (692.52 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

FredC

Re: New to here! Looking for info on Krag

Post by FredC »

Welcome to the KCA, you have a nice looking 1899 carbine.

Most of what I see looks correct. In the last photo I am trying to figure out if that is a dark stain on the stock behind the trigger guard or a shadow. I am hoping it is not a cut away area. Looks like some clean up would make a very sharp looking carbine. The serial number is definitely a 3. The highest known numbers are in the 480,000 vicinity. The US paid a royalty to the inventors for every one made an extra 400k Krags would have been a lot of money for not keeping things straight. We have often asked what happened to receivers that were spoiled after numbering. So far we do not know if they were noted as spoiled or another was made as a replacement for that number.
Before you take things apart get some good gunsmithing screw drivers so you do not mar the screw heads. Others will make suggestions on cleaning and disassembly.

I am not sure if the moderators can move your thread but it is was started in the wrong place.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'EagleKeeper' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.
As 'FredC' reports, you have a complete U.S. model 1899 Krag-Jorgensen carbine.
Your carbine, #358750 (or 358760?), would have been assembled at Springfield Armory around November, 1901.
Your rear-sight is the model 1901 carbine sight.

Your carbine has been fitted with a rifle butt-swivel and rifle barrel-band with sling-swivel. This may have been done officially, but was more often done by civilian owners, for 'Hunting'.

It appears your stock was heavily sanded by someone, after it left the service. Normally 'sharp' edges are now rounded.
(Your wood would look nicer after a few hand-rubbed applications of lemon oil, tongue oil, or linseed oil thinned with turpentine).
Your metal looks to have a lot of light surface rust and pitting. It would do no harm to wipe metal surfaces with cotton patches damp with a quality gun oil or CLP weapons oil and to clean the bore.

Avoid the harsh refinishing of wood and metal. Educate yourself by reading through some of the old entries on the KCA Forum. A lot of restoration has been discussed and written about.

Your stock 'cartouche' may show up a bit better after hand-rubbing with wood 'oils'. The 'cartouche' contains the letters [J.S.A.] in a fancy script and a year, likely 1901. These are the initials of Joseph Sumner Adams, Assistant -Foreman, Springfield assembly room and the year of acceptance into service.

Behind the trigger-guard is a script "P" in a circle. This indicates the rifle has been 'proof' fired and function tested.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Slings were fitted to 1899 Krag carbines for the engineers, as BR said, it was quite a small number like 200 or so but if you post a picture of the lower sling swivel and how well it is inletted in the stock that can prove whether it would be a candidate for being done in service, no way to prove it, but it is easy to disprove it depending on location and quality of work.

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

Welcome! Beautiful carbine you got there!
I'm just here for the food...

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

A fine carbine and a great first time Krag acquisition with a lot of its former glory shining through despite the sanding of the stock as pointed out. These guns were sold as surplus, with the carbines being sought after for their shortness when compared to their rifle counterparts for hunting purposes. So these carbines/rifles were treated as a cheap weapon and many previous owners wanted to improve their looks and functionality by refinishing, the rifles being cut shorter in many instances. We can't undo most of what has been done in the past and many times have to simply enjoy them for what they are today. There are exceptions to this, but your specimen is far above average as it is.