Ammo 29 & 30

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
RetiredMil

Ammo 29 & 30

Post by RetiredMil »

I was checking some old 29 & 30 ammo yesterday to find which rounds to pull the bullets and reload. The one thing I ran into was loaded rounds that I could break into with my fingers at the neck. It appears they were not stored properly by the corrosion inside and the powder was stuck together plus they were not crimped. I have pictures but they are too large to down load.

psteinmayer

Re: Ammo 29 & 30

Post by psteinmayer »

My personal feelings are you should not bother messing with those old rounds for components. Even the bullets would be harder on the rifling than current production bullets. I wouldn't even bother with pulling them down. New brass, powder and bullets are readily available, and far safer in the long run. Of course, this is just my opinion...

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

I agree with Paul 100%.

Zgun

RetiredMil

Post by RetiredMil »

Checking to see if photos are right size.Image

RetiredMil

Post by RetiredMil »

Yes you are right old rounds are not worth messing with I found this out the hard way. Now I need to remove the partial case stuck in the barrel. The case separates about 1/8 inch below the neck when fired. Will the 303 broken case extractor be long enough to remove the case?

FredC

Post by FredC »

The trick will be not damaging the barrel. If it does not come out with some easy prodding with a cleaning rod I would take it to a gunsmith.
If it was mine I have some possible answers in my shop, but most people do not have so many lathes they need a paper and pencil to count them.

On that case that broke it looks like it had some moisture in it the powder. whether it leaked in or the powder broke down into a corrosive liquid, I have no clue. I guess I might keep some to look at and give the rest to a museum?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

A 303 case extractor may work... but my feelings are it won't get up into the throat area to get that ring. As I said before, get a piece of wooden dowl rod that is smaller than the bore. Try to maneuver it to catch the lip and tap it out with a mallet. BE CAREFUL to NOT strike the barrel/muzzle with a hammer when it breaks free! If that doesn't work, then take it to a gunsmith.

RetiredMil

Post by RetiredMil »

I took the rifle to a gunsmith but he did not have the right tool he had a 308 extraction tool but it was too short so he could not remove it.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

A GI 30/06 broken case extractor works fine for my Krag. Long enough for any common military .30 caliber - since '06 is the longest case in that "family" (7.62 NATO/Russian, 7.65 Mauser, .303 British, 7.5 Swiss/French, etc.)

Never, never pound on a wooden dowel in the barrel. It can shear, wedge, and have to be bored out - with a long spoon-bit.ImageImageImage

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Have read somewhere that pushing a new 30 cal brush from the chamber past the case and then pulling back will sometime remove the ruptured case. Never tried it myself so no guarantees.