Neat Lyman Sights

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Neat Lyman Sights

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't remember where I snagged this photo, but someone has a classic Hunting Rifle with a Lyman 'cocking-piece peep sight'.

I see disadvantages to a sight that flies forward at the instant of 'Firing'. It sure looks cool, though!
Attachments
Krag with Lyman.jpg
Krag with Lyman.jpg (306.5 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Re: Neat Lyman Sights

Post by butlersrangers »

'Cat Man' posted this photo of his Lyman 'beauty' on another thread. His Lyman model has a nice 'micro' windage-adjustment.

'Cat Man' made the suggestion that interested KCA Members could do a comparative trial or test of the various after-market receiver 'peep' sights that were manufactured for the U.S. Krag. (Rice, Pacific, Lyman, Redfield, etc.)

Recent travel and foot surgery, last week, have delayed my focusing on such an "experiment", making preparations, and going to the range.

(I am currently 'trapped' for a few weeks keeping my left foot elevated, wearing a Velcro boot for minimal hobbling around the house).

Maybe this is a good opportunity to formulate a plan?
Attachments
Cat Mans Lyman.JPG
Cat Mans Lyman.JPG (195.11 KiB) Viewed 10496 times

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

You caused me to dig out the Krag sporting models. I hope we can all shoot some targets over the winter with different rear sights.

The cocking piece rear sights are an interesting design. Lyman designed the sights for the Model 1899 Savage Lever Action as a tang mount. Then later added the dove tail base for installation on bolt action rifles.

There are several models. The 1A and 2A are only adjustable for elevation. BR posted a photo of the 1A that has a fold down peep inside the larger opening. The 2A model uses a standard threaded aperture.

The Lyman No.103 is the one on my rifle. It has the added windage adjustment with provides 1/2 Minute clicks. They were in the Lyman catalogs until about 1955.

While there is some noticeable rotation side to side in the cocking piece, the operation the the bolt on closing always takes up the movement and returns the sight to the same point. Solid to the right. Making an accurate starting point. The important thing with any of these old rifles is good follow through when the shot breaks. The lock time is slow and the added weight of the sight probably makes is more so.

Consider the advantage of the increased sight radius with the sight on the cocking piece.
Standard Model 1898 with 30 Inch Barrel and 01 rear sight = 24 1/2" Radius
Carbine Model 1899 with 22 Inch Barrel and 01 rear sight = 16 1/2" Radius
Sporter With 30 "rifle barrel and no drill Redfield or Pacific rear sight = 33 1/2" Radius
Sporter with 25 1/2 " barrel and 03 front sight with Lyman cocking piece rear sight = 33 3/4" Radius (Cat Man's Rifle)

Another interesting feature of these rear sights is the small lever on the left side the unlocks and allows the sight to fold down out of the way when taken in and out of a gun case or saddle scabbard.

Jeff The Caterpillar man
Attachments
IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3425.JPG (693.24 KiB) Viewed 10397 times

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Here is a better photograph of a Lyman No. 2A cocking piece sight that shows the dovetail mounting the sight to the cocking piece.

This one is on an 03 Springfield cocking piece, but same on the Krag.
Attachments
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG (686.15 KiB) Viewed 10395 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have taken a couple of shots at long range on moving animals when the animal moved out of the cross hairs as the trigger broke. That moving sight might clue you when that happens and tell you why you missed.
One of the 2 times it was a coyote running from me, I had the crosshair on her rear end and saw her step to the right when the gun discharged. Went to check to see why she did not come out of the low spot. She turned her head to look over her left shoulder when she stepped to the right. Put her head in the way of an incoming. Since watched other coyotes running away and saw the same behavior, they step right when looking over the left shoulder while running.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

bump for D. Hosmer