What is this Ammo?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
kragkrazy

Re: What is this Ammo?

Post by kragkrazy »

Fascinating and educational comments. Once again, thanks all.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I agree. Great to look at but I wouldn't shoot them.

I was given 4 boxes of 30-40 220 gr Remington Kleenbore a while back. These were suspected to be early 60s vintage. The ammo looked very good. I shot a few rounds over the chrono. Velocity ranged from 2010 to 2385. Corresponding recoil was noticeably different too.

I tried to pull a few bullets without much luck. They were stuck, galvanic bonding between copper jacket and brass case. I attempted to break the bond by bumping the bullet against a seating die. Nope, only succeeded in crushing the shoulder. They were really stuck!

Vic

Wow! I'll bet that 220@2385 was a thumper! It's good that you had a chronograph going. I need to get one of those gadgets!

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Madsenshooter, Yelp I definitely knew something wasn't right. :)

With your knowledge and experience, a chronograph should be on your Christmas list! I used a Shooting Chrony for years. Often there was an erratic number during a string. I'd just toss it and shoot another round. Purchased a Magneto Speed a couple years ago. A great instrument but has some firearms limitation due to the way it mounts. The attached link is very informative: http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ChronographChapter.pdf
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member