There I was...

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Re: There I was...

Post by Culpeper »

So the on going story. I started over with different loadings. The answer is the WLR primers suck with a capital UCK. I loaded twenty rounds in new unused brass. Forty-one grains of IMR 4064, for all, would put me in the 2400 to 2500 range according to Sierra. Definitely not hotrods loads. So all twenty at forty-one. Five with 169 SMKs and CCI 34 primers. Five with 169s and WLR primers. Then, five with 175 SMKs and CCI 34s and five with 175 SMKs and WLRs.

The CCi 34 primer loads had no blow outs. I fired two of the WLR/169 loads and had blow outs. Not good. I just had to be sure and fired one of the WLR/175 loads and had a blow out. Hung my head in defeat. Soooo. From now on only CCI 34 primers go into my RUAG brass.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

What madsenshooter said about flash hole size does make sense. Maybe CCi Primers are a smidgen thicker than Winchester primers, but you still could be skating on thin ice with them. I would keep a careful eye on things for a while.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The CCI #34 primer is a milspec primer with (I believe) a slightly thicker cup and a little less sensitive. They are also slightly hotter than say a CCI-200 LR primer. The cup thickness and sensitivity issue are important in preventing slam-fire in a Garand (which can happen with sensitive primers and thin walled primer cups). CCI #34 is what I used in basically everything except my 7.7x58 Arisaka ammo (which I use the 200) and my 7.7x55 Swiss (which as I stated before, I'm using Berdan KV762N primers).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW: I have had good performance and no problems with Winchester Large Rifle primers in Remington, Winchester, Norma and PPU brass.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Has anyone weighed a few of each of the discussed Boxer primers? My guess is that the weight of the priming compound doesn't vary much. I suspect the weight differences are associated with metal components (cup & anvil). Weighing spent primers might even tell you more.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

The continuing saga

Went to the range and fired off twenty 7.5 Swiss rounds All 41 grain of IMR4064, 175 SMK, CCI 34 primers. Ten were one time reloads and the others were in new brass. There were zero blown primers. So I am thinking the problem is a dimensional issue between WLR primers and the primer pocket of the RUAG brass and with the robustness of the primer cup material between the two primers. I also checked the flash holes on the brass and it does not appear to be different from flash holes of .30-06 rounds I use. Accuracy was alright. I managed to hit the black at a hundred.

Now I want to go back to my original load and tempt fate. More to follow.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

This business of the CCI #34 having a thicker cup is internet myth that won't go quietly. An actual and demonstrable difference is that the #34 has a shorter anvil than other CCI L-R primers.
cci34.jpg
cci34.jpg (65.59 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I knew nothing about all that. I learn something from you every time you post here. The reality for me, though, is the CCIs performed where the WLRs did not.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I took the K31 out on a field trip to the range because today is my Dad's birthday. He would have been Ninety-four. We lost him seven years ago. Any way, he would have been very disappointed in my shooting skills. I would be a great shooter if I could shoot a tenth as good as he could in his prime.

But on to the pictures. As you can see practice makes perfect and I am far from that address so I'll just keep practicing. I did manage to tight up my act on the second string. And I am starting to get the hang of diopter sights.

Now to work on getting rid of my seventy pound bowling ball of a stomach so I can get into the prone position. EEK!

Attachments
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 1.jpg
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 1.jpg (237.11 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 2.jpg
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 2.jpg (218.05 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 3.jpg
K31 - 45.5 gr I4350, 175 SMK, CCI34, RUAG brass 3.jpg (282.46 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Geeze Culp... looks to me like you're doing alright!